Water in gear oil

mike rousseau

Well that didn't take long...

2 months and i have an issue with my new yamaha outboard... But this isnt yamahas fault...

I had a buddy who I won't name (member here) get caught in my prop while trolling... And I wasn't aware due to the fact that I was helping the other guy on the boat land a walleye... So the motor was in forward for about a minut with line in the prop...

And when I did my 100 hour oil changes today my gear oil was milky...

So it would seem my oil seals on the prop shaft have been damaged...

Is this something I can fix myself... Or is this something I should get a pro to fix...?

Let's say 1-10 scale... 10 being a really tricky job...

Thanks

Did you pull the prop and look for any line sticking out of the shaft seal?

Pulled it and everything looked perfect...

Seals appeared to be in great shape...

The line that wrapped the prop the day it happened was 20lb mono and I got the whole leader back out imidiatly... I had hoped that the larger diameter of the 20lb mone wouldn't cause damage...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I would bring it in have them look at it or question them why it might be milky and not talk about the line. Maybe the breakin oil breaks Down in some form like that???

I do remember some one asking about the difference in the original oil and stuff you use after the breakin period. But I have never bought brand new.

Edited by Mike P.

I'm no expert but I can't see #20 mono getting wrapped into the prop for that short of time damaging your seals , I have had #50 PP braid wrap up

with no damage . Also maybe your drain/fill plugs were tightened to much thus damaging gaskets !

If I were you I would take it in and get it tested just to be safe , way too much money invested at this point on a brand new engine to screw around !

Did you drain it after running it? What I mean is, did you use the engine, then get home and drain it? A lot of times, if you check it after using it, the oil will appear milky, but if you check it after sitting over night it will be clear.

I would drain it, fill it back up, run it for a while, but only check it after its been sitting over night. I bet it comes out clear again.

S.

So your advising me to to run another 150 hours on my brand spanking new outboard with water getting in the lower unit?

Leak tests only take a few minutes. Well worth the effort.

Hey, are you really going to fish 150 hours before end of the season. What's that, 2 months. 75 hours a month. That's almost 20 hours a week. Busy guy! :Gonefishing: