Gloves

Dan668

I'm very interested in the answer to this as well. Last year I had to quit early because I can't seem to cast very well wearing gloves and couldn't find a good pair around here. And it seems it's getting colder faster this year, or my memory isn't what it used to be, or my memory isn't what it used to be.

auto mechanic gloves work and some come with an exposed finger(s) and thumb. if the thumb isn't open, cut the tip off the one you need to thumb the line with if you don't feel it like you want to. I keep 2 sets of them with me fall fishing incase I need to change a wet glove.

these are the gloves i use. (might not be warm enough for winter, but great for fall)

they are neoprene BPS gloves, and are fairly cheap

you can pull back the index finger and thumb to tie knots, etc. without having to remove the gloves

also works for baitcasting, just pull the thumb back.

bass+pro+shops+gloves.jpg

FYI, it says its waterproof....It is NOT but stilll good for the money

I use the Thinsulate mits that fold back and attach by Velcro to let you use your fingers when you need 'em

but the key with a baitcaster is your thumb. I too have the fold back mit's/gloves and never use them when using a baitcaster. not enough feel in the thumb with them. any other type of reel, for sure they are good.

but the key with a baitcaster is your thumb. I too have the fold back mit's/gloves and never use them when using a baitcaster. not enough feel in the thumb with them. any other type of reel, for sure they are good.

I hear what you're saying, but i seem to get away with them ok....

and like Mike says, when it's really cold, I'll tend to troll!

Seems like everyone uses something different, haha. I like the look of those neoprene gloves w/ the finger slits. I'll try and find some of them in Sudbury.

Don't cast...lol

lol

Some days, the trout seem to only bite casting or still-fishing.

Fall fishing = NO gloves.

This time of the year is used to condition my fingers for the up coming ice fishing season.

If my hands get to cold, I take a break for a few minutes, and warm them up in my pockets.. :whistling:

Edited by N.A.W

• 3 weeks later...

Up until the point where it gets cold enough to need actual insulation in the glove, I find white work gloves are fantastic. Just takes the bite out of the wind, and does not affect manual dexterity too badly.

Once the real gloves are needed, I just have a bunch of gloves with thinsulate in them. Not much you can do about it. Any glove will hinder your touch etc.

Try bringing 2 pairs of fingerless cotton or wool gloves. Keep a pair tucked inside your sweater and swap them back and forth once the first pair gets damp. Also remember to keep a towel handy to dry your hands. Dry hands and a warm spare set is about all you should need.

I've got the Simms Windstopper fold over mitt for steelhead fishing, they work awesome. Although if it's really REALLY cold, I've got some rag wool/alpaca mitts that keep me warm even if they're soaking wet.

Glad you have more tha one pair. I recall a few years back you forgot them at home while fishing with Solo!

Edited by ketchenany

This time of the year is used to condition my fingers for the up coming ice fishing season.

If my hands get to cold, I take a break for a few minutes, and warm them up in my pockets.. :whistling:

Bingo.

It's funny how we bundle up in semi-cold fall conditions, but when the same temps roll around in April everybody is frolicking around in t-shirts :lol:

I'd have to agree, this time of year as much as I like the warmth of my long johns and gloves I won't do it unless its bitter bitter cold out. Why get comfy with your winter gear now when it's not even winter yet?! The long johns wont get cracked until the thermostat reads - 10

I'm all about mechanic gloves. I usually just get the normal style and clip off the thumb and finger. It's the only way I've found to still be able to do everything you need to do unimpeded.

I wear them ice fishing too, and when I need to warm the hands (if I'm not in the shack) I just deadstick for a few minutes and put a pair of warm mitts on right over top