Broke 2 brand new Compres in 5 outings

gordy28

Few months ago I bought a 7 ft 2 piece spinning Compre for an upcoming trip.

I used it once before the trip and on the 3rd day of the trip the tip snapped coming off a weedy snag.

Took it back to Grimsby Tackle-no issues w exchange-got the same rod and it only cost me $20 to ship the old rod back to Shimano.

Took brand new rod to Balsam lake this past weekend and 15 minutes into our first trolling run-same issue-tip snapped.

Since Grimsby isn't exactly around the corner and the fact that Shimano warranty states any dealer can do the exchange-I called two different Miss/GTA dealers to see if I could take it there-long story short answer was no.

Emailed Grimsby-NP come back in, which I did today. Little leery of the two piece again I got a 1 piece 6 8 mh rod. Will be trying it out this weekend and the guys at Grimsby were very helpful and accomodating.

Anyway-thanks to the guys at Grimsby-they are now my preferred tackle store hands down and I'll be back in the fall when I plan on upgrading my musky combo!

Cheers

Gordy

So many people rave about these rods, but I've had 3 tips snap on the lighter spinning rods.

Perhaps the heavier musky rods are more durable but I'm not willing to take the chance to find out.

Glad to hear Grimsby Tackle treated you well. For many years I avoided that store like the plague because the owner was so incredibly unfriendly.

So many people rave about these rods, but I've had 3 tips snap on the lighter spinning rods.

Perhaps the heavier musky rods are more durable but I'm not willing to take the chance to find out.

Glad to hear Grimsby Tackle treated you well. For many years I avoided that store like the plague because the owner was so incredibly unfriendly.

Not Much better Mike. Brand new Musky rod. third cast and the tip top guide insert came off, rendering the rod useless.I had to switch up with my trolling rod, or risk ruining my day.

The new owner is much friendlier than the prvious one!

The previous owner was hit and miss with his mood, but he was a really good guy when you got the good mood. Think he was done for several years of the bait shop thing and ready to retire......However, Martin is the new owner and is a really good guy.....but am sure he is susceptible like all of us at times to our dark side. That is one of my favourite places to shop.

Edited by Hooked

Have several compres and no problems over the years except for the new one I bought this year with the "foam" handle . I find it is too narrow for my hand and when the foam gets wet it is a touch slippery :angry: Other then that it is a great rod .

One thing I have to ask is are you using braid ? The reason I ask is because I broke a new Diawa rod a month ago and more than one person told me that it basicly broke from the braid causing too much force on the rod during my hook set ! As well as the angle of the rod when I set the hook :dunno:

From what they told me it sounds logical but who knows !

Shimano does have a great warranty on compres as you can contest to that .

Probably doesn't read that way but my post was more about the greatness of Grimsby Tackle IMO and less on the Compres

• I will reserve judgment with this new rod - could have been a bad batch, could have been user error, could have been 2 pieces versus 1 piece (all of my other rods are 1 piecers)
  • I will say I loved the sensitivity of the rod - generally $100 is my max spend on a rod - on our trip certain dyas the walleye bight was quite light - with the Compre - NP - both feel and responsivness were awesome. After I broke the rod I had to use my finesse set up (Abu Garcia Vendetta, 6'10 ML) and I know it cost me fish - some of it was just the lighter set up IMO but it did not have the same feel either

Anyway - hoping 3rd time is a charm - at $20 a pop for the replacement for the price of this Compre I could have easily had a Crucial or close to a St Croix Avid :whistling:

Compre rods since the brown ones they brought out in the mid-90s have been pretty good overall. I have quite a few - many are getting pretty old, but I've never had any trouble whatsoever. I actually thought about replacing some of the really beat up ones but have heard of a few people snapping tips on the current generation ones, so perhaps I'll hold onto my old beaters a little bit longer. Or, just get somethng else.

Back in the early 90s Shimano made these silver coloured rods (forget the name of the series) that consistently snapped like dry spaghetti. I think I blew up about six of them before I gave up altogether. They were expensive rods, and very sensitive, but just horrible in terms of durability.

I haven't been to Grimsby Tackle in years.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie