Updated pic of unidentified track.... Feline or Canine???

siwash

I'll submit that it was a lynx. The scat did not necessarily come from that animal.

To clarify, the poop was taken several hundred yards away in a totally different location.

I did not intend to conclude that the poop came from the animal(s) that made the tracks. They were taken on the same day so I lumped them together...

The scat still looks like bear poop to me.. for the poster who said berries should be in the scat, what if berries are not part of the bear's diet in that location? It appeared to be vegetation (grasses?) as I broke it apart with a stick to see what it had eaten.. It was fairly fresh (maybe several hours?)

The tracks were found along a sandy trail.

This was taken in a county forest neat the town of Baxter.. there's a Christmas tree farm about a mile away...

Are there lynx in Simcoe County?

I heard that there was a cougar(s) sighting recently nearby... by two hikers... they heard more than one animal claimed the animals were "tracking" them

I'll submit that it was a lynx. The scat did not necessarily come from that animal.

To clarify, the poop was taken several hundred yards away in a totally different location.

I did not intend to conclude that the poop came from the animal(s) that made the tracks. They were taken on the same day so I lumped them together...

The scat still looks like bear poop to me.. for the poster who said berries should be in the scat, what if berries are not part of the bear's diet in that location? It appeared to be vegetation (grasses?) as I broke it apart with a stick to see what it had eaten.. It was fairly fresh (maybe several hours?)

The tracks were found along a sandy trail.

This was taken in a county forest near the town of Baxter.. there's a Christmas tree farm about a mile away...

Are there lynx in Simcoe County?

I heard that there was a cougar(s) sighting recently nearby... by two hikers... they heard more than one animal claimed the animals were "tracking" them

Edited by swordfish

the toe pads are fairly round but without seeing the tracks up close it's tough to call...overall they resemble a cat print, but it does look like there are nail marks above the toe pads and that's throwing me off, they also look fairly small so not likely a cougar but they could be right with a smaller cat...something to establish scale would help next time you find tracks

the tracks looks fairly old...was the area muddy previously or on a steep grade? I've seen cat tracks using their claws climbing an embankment or muddy areas

I'll submit that it was a lynx.

In this area and surounding area,there are bob cats (seen and have heard them) .Lots of black bears in the borden area,which will travel many miles.

overall they resemble a cat print,

The distance between the two prints,is to close to be a yote or wolf.Also a yote will be alot narrower.Smaller foot print.

Edited by Misfish