Brook Trout Nirvanna: Fishing The Sutton River

solopaddler

I wanted to comment on this a while back, but amazing trip aside, this read was really enjoyable. Had a strong Dick Proenneke -esq feel to it and a way of taking you along the way for the trip. I must have read this thing 5 times through the first wk it was up. Nice report. thanx for the experience.

Edited by Toad Hunter

Just finished reading thru this entire story once again and it truly was an adventure of a life time.

The run-in the polar bear is something neither of you will ever forget but it must have been an incredible thing to actually experience.

I've been close to polar bears myself, but they were on the other side of the steel fence at the Toronto Zoo and that was scary enough :lol:

Once again Bill & Mike, thanks for the incredible story and pictures !!!!

I've been away for a few days, just checking in now.

I have to say I'm completely overwhelmed at the response this post has garnered.

So many thoughtful replies, thank you!

Many of you guys had questions and I really don't want to answer them all on this post. Please pm me directly and I'll get back to you asap!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Mike Borger

I have waited days to read your post, didnt want to rush it and wanted to have enough time to sit down and enjoy it.

I have nothing to say because I really am speechless, amazing, fantastic, jealous, smiling like an idiot. Every year I wait for one of your trip posts, wish I could do that but with 3 herniated discs in my neck and being inoperable I have to live thru your words and pictures.

Thanks you so much for this!!!!

Darren

Have read through this report several times now to convince myself not to visit this unreal river called the Sutton.

So far I have only convinced myself that I will fight all polar bears with one hand tied behind my back in order to get my line in that river.

This is the one report I needed to read this year.

Fantastic report Mike :clapping:

Mike

There really isn't much more to say than what everyone else has said here already. Totally EPIC trip and same on the report and photos !

I think the polar bear story would be great to hear sitting around some burning sticks and a couple of mugs of Baileys ;) You have time to work on it before next year's Lakair G2G lol

Thanks for a terrific hour to start my day !

:worthy: :worthy:

Are you ready for your next trip yet

Don't worry buddy, I'll be ready. I've been sorting through and readying my gear this morning. ;)

Once again, and I can't stress this enough, thanks for the kind responses everyone. I'm gratified that the work that went into putting this thing together was worth the while.

Cheers

Mike..Bill...hats off. Admittedly I haven't read every word yet because I couldnt stop scrolling through the pictures. Truly a trip of a lifetime. The bear thing would mess me up a little bit I think..lol. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

EDIT: You're getting lots of good press over here too: http://forums.oodmag.com/showthread.php?t=48554 :)

Edited by Bicephalic

After that trip,how can you guys find that thrill again fishing our tribs?. I know loving to fish is one thing,but the excitement of not knowing what's ahead must be unbelievable. Don't mean to take anything away from our tribs. They are great,but?????.

You can't really compare them, it's a completely different type of fishing.. I'll still get excited when I hook a 12in brookie in a small Grey/Bruce stream.. The Sutton won't take away any of that.. I get excited about spending time on the river with buddies, having good days and lots of laughs, fish are just a bonus :)

Awesome, Mike. Awesome. Thanks for the report. You are a talented journalist. Did you hear any banjos playing before the White Bear sneaked up on you?

Banjos playing? HAHA! No.....

I steelhead fish down in Pennsylvania a fair bit.

When you hear the sentence "We don't like you guys cummin' round here, with your fancy rubber pants!!" You kind of expect to hear banjos LOL!

• 3 weeks later...