Brook Trout Nirvanna: Fishing The Sutton River

solopaddler

I got a few snippets of this journal earlier that just blew me away and that's why my "I feel" thread was put up. Mike, I happened to get up in the middle of the night to check what was happening on the board. I wasn't here 2 minutes and this thread showed up. That was around 3 this morning and I could not go back to bed. I had to read it all (yes, made a pot of coffee) and savoured every word and picture. This is just a fantastic account of two guys doing what most fishing enthusiasts dream of doing. The difference is, you guys grabbed the bull by the ummm whatevers and did it. I see the word 'jealousy' show up but I'm sure that most mean to say envy. Envy you the trip but probably more importantly, envy you your conviction to just get it done. Lots can't do that. You both did it and also documented the whole journey including great photography and video. Your generosity sharing this to us all is to be commended. Just a great report guys.

Thanks guys....I really don't know what else to say.

ps. I'll PM Bill with a question though..... it has to do with bears. :)

I guess it's a good thing that OFC is blocked at work...My day would've been so unproductive.LOL

Truly amazing report Mike. It's definitely something I'd really love to save up for in the future. I'd love to try out a switch rod on that water for swinging flies and chugging mouse patterns across the surface...It just looks like what heaven should be like :)

Wow, I'm a little humbled at the response everyone, I'm so glad you like the story!

I'm about to crash, I've been up for three straight days now with little sleep, basically since I woke up Sunday morning. It's been a combination of my crazy work schedule and other things going on this week.

I'm heading up north early tomorrow morning with my son and dog, we're going up to the camp for a mini holliday.

When my brain is a little less frazzled I'll respond individually as many of you had questions.

Thanks again. A ton of work went into this one and it's real nice to see it's appreciated.

Cheers!

Took me an hour to read this through the day.

One of the greatest fishing stories have read and watched. :Gonefishing:

The whole deal from wildlife, geography, history, and of course weather and fishing are touched upon. Being there is what is special about this. The fact that you took the time to selflessly share with all is very admirable.

Passed through my mind that i had met both of you before you met each other.

Made this adventure more "real" than some magazine article or fishing show on TV.

You and Bill deserve this. Nice guys finish first :thumbsup_anim: not last.

Many thanks!

Nice catching up a little the other night Mike. Let's not leave it too long ti'll next time.

Thoroughly enjoyed the report, of course. Special interests obviously... and so many first-hand stories from others about that place. There's never been a person met from Peawanuck I didn't like, they are the most genuine folk and true to their roots. Unspoiled. Never met Albert while up north, but did talk with his brother Xavier about the Sutton once when he was in Moose Factory, and his sister Margaret (RN) a number of times. She told the same story you did, about gliding over the schools of trout while going down the river. Also, mentioned the new weeds. Kinda sad really, knowing that it won't be the same way forever after having been the same way for eons. Pike might begin to overrun some parts in time, but you and Bill surely tell that there's gotta be a billion specks in that river to keep it troutful. I have 3 river regrets after leaving the north... Kwetabohagan, the Moose all the way to Hell's Gate, and this river. So close, but never a partner willing to share it with. You and Bill are so lucky, and it's more than a treat to see all the pics from the land. Not quite what I had envisioned, a little less tundra, pretty well taiga, and very much like the Ekwan.

Howled at the Bill's pregnant comment... Appreciated the many pics and rundown of events.

Thanks, and well done gents!

That was a fabulous report to read- and a superb mix of National Geographic, Virgin radio, and fish tv to make me awe-inspired! I am sure that the people, the wildlife and the terrain were rewarding in ways we would have to experience ourselves, and can only dream of. You're two very lucky guys- tho I am waffling on whether that includes the fish allergy and polar bears!!!

Wow, that was more than a fishing report, that was an excellent short story. I couldn't imagine the crazy #'s of fish you guys put up, amazing! Are there any other species that swims in those waters? Great stuff.

I had a high 30's, low 40inch pike snap me off when I tried to grab it :) I think I caught 3-4 of them all week (Mostly small little rockets) I doubt there's much of a pike population in the Sutton.

Well that was just BEYOND EPIC!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Nearly fell off my chair when I read this "I can't believe you were just greased out by some rube flossing fish with a marshmallow on the Sutton!!" :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Lots of jaw dropping shots, cool videos, and great story telling. And yet again my bucket list gets longer after reading a "Solopaddler" report. Thanks Bill and Mike for taking us down the river on your incredible adventure. :good:

Mike, this is by far and large the best report I have ever read from you. It was well written with lots of great photos and videos. Just the right amount to keep me glued to keep reading. What an amazing trip you guys had! Absolutely stellar boys.

I do have to say though, you guys are Basterds. I was content to try brook trout on Nipigon until I read this report! LOL Now I HAVE to go to both Nipigon AND the Sutton! As you know Mike, I have not fished much brook trout before but have always wanted to. I will have to go to both places, as the Sutton is now added to my bucket list like many others here now lol.

Edited by Aaron Shirley