2008 Optimax stalling at idle???

lookinforwalleye

had the boat out today and my 2008 Optimax started stalling at idle and while in gear at low RPM`s It starts fine and runs perfect at speed.

First thing I thought was plugs and they are the original plugs in it, any suggestions?

Thanks

Check fuel filters (should be a large and a small). Water fuel separator if u have one. Could also be something in fuel (bad fuel). Possibly Carbs could use a cleaning.

Check fuel filters (should be a large and a small). Water fuel separator if u have one. Could also be something in fuel (bad fuel). Possibly Carbs could use a cleaning.

Not likely a carb problem, Optimax engines are fuel injected. If the fuel filter were plugged it would be losing power at high speed before low speed and would give you a low fuel pressure alarm. If there is water in the separator (which is onboard the engine) it will give you a "water in fuel" alarm. These problems are common with older outboards but these new things are far more complex and there aren't many simple solutions.

Spark plugs are rarely an issue on these engines and at $40 each it's an expensive experiment. I know the Throttle Position Sensors can cause this if they fail but you have to go to the dealer to and the problem diagnosed. The TPS and idle speed are not adjustable but are all controlled through the PCM and you need the high tech gear to figure it out. Ignition coils have also been problematic on some engines but like hirk says, it's well worth the cost to pin the problem down and get it fixed properly before anything else gets messed up...these things are pretty high tech and the old band aid fixes we used to apply to outboards don't very often work anymore. If you don't have the diagnostic equipment, you're pretty well forced to go to somebody who does unfortunately and given the cost of parts, it can be a costly adventure to just start guessing at things.

Good Luck and please post when you find the problem....

Edited by G.mech

Took the optimax into Leatherdale marine for a diagnosis and it was just plugs! The mechanic asked me if I had the plugs out I said no, he told me all 3 plugs were loose one almost completely out. Some jerk must have tampered with the motor! Anyways all fixed and running like new again!