Launching ?

ch312

on sunday i went to burwell to get some pickerel and the guy that was working at the launch suggested i unhook the winch strap before backing into the water. i tried it out and it worked on a steep ramp. still didn't like the idea.

it's a g3 angler 165 on bunks. is it safe to unhook everything when launching or was my near nervous breakdown justified?

I've seen it done both ways. For my own peace of mind, I unhook everything but my winch strap and unhook it when the trailer is in the water and my feet don't get wet. May save you 10 seconds, but I have this vision of my boat sliding off as I back up even though I know the weight of it won't really allow that to happen.

I've seen about half a dozen boats come off the trailer onto the launch at queenston launch in the winter with ice , but never in the warmer weather , make sure you don't have those easy load teflon strips on your bunks they are pretty slick as well

Edited by Wiser

I don't like the idea either. I always unwinch at the water and my feet never get wet. Does the guy working the launch own a nice boat??

several for many many years both burwell launches are run by great people. if it's a steep ramp then Ron or his son know what they are doing although I leave the straps on until it's in the water if it's steep .

I always used to have the winch strap attached... Until one day I watched someone else unattach theirs before lauching and actually braked hard when he backed it up. His braking hard was actually his way of helping his boat slide off the bunks by itself. It was the fastest most efficient launch I've ever seen. No getting feet wet, no need to push off nothing.

When I had mine I’d unhook the winch; but I tied a bow line to the trucks bumper with a bit of slack. Enough slack that the boat could freely float off the trailer but not so much that if the boat began to slide off, the line would hold it. A bit of insurance and a lot of ease, being able to grab the line well out of the water and guide the boat to the dock.

I actually had a hoop tied in the line at the right distance from the boat that I would just slide this hoop over the end of the truck’s bumper. No messing around tying and untying the line from the truck.

Dan.

Whether or not this is safe is dependent on your particular set-up. I'd say most bunk trailers you would have no problem. The only folks I have ever heard having problems with bunks are guys who have added to plastic strips to their bunks or sprayed them with lubricate. My suggestion would be take off the winch strap but leave the emergency chain attached, back down the ramp and tap the brakes until you can determine how much force is required to slide your boat off your trailer. Just remember, once the bunks are wet the boat will slide easier. I have a roller trailer under my current boat, so this isn't an option for me, but with past boats I always unhooked everything but the emergency strap, it really only takes a few seconds to unclip that once you're transom is in the water.

The best thing is 2 people 1 in the boat 1 backing up. Even before the wife could back up the trailer I would position the boat undo the winch strap and the wife would back up 2-3 ft.

I assume this ramp is so steep that undoing the strap is hard and then the boat shoots of the trailer.

The worst thing is tying a rope to the boat and letting it shoot of the trailer. Seen several wives get pulled into the water. Most are those ramps with quick drop right at that critical time.

Have also seen straps and ropes break from boats shooting off trailers.

I recommend this to my customers as well, sort of. I leave about 2 feet of slack on the winch line then lock it again. back the boat up and it gently pulls away from the winch stops. then i just climb into the boat from the back of the truck, unhooking the strap on the way past..I used to do morning clinics on this at marinas. If a guy wants to learn they can be very receptive, if you offer help at the ramp i find you are most likely to get an earful from an already stressed/embarrassed guy.

even with other people around i launch and load myself. its a routine that one needs to have, and follow each time. as helpful and experienced others may be, i prefer to stick to the routine and if something goes wrong it was me...

boats stick like crazy to regular carpeted bunks. when we pull boats off bunk trailers to dry store it takes a tug of war between 2 trucks to do so..but i still wouldn't take an unrestrained boat down a launch.

if you leave the winch strap fully tightened on a steep ramp the bow eye can wedge itself under the top roller or vstop as the boat tries to float, can get you bound up pretty good. consider the upforce on the stop is equivalent to the weight of all the water the bow is displacing, adds up pretty quick. a little slack prevents this, and locking the winch prevents something bad happening..

i do the same on a roller, only needs a few inches of slack. no reason to tie to truck or other object the winch will restrain the boat and your secondary chain/rope doesnt come off til in the water either..unless it is very short for some reason..

launching should be a <5 minute event. recovery just a little longer.

thanks for all the input. :thumbsup_anim:

i'm good at launching/loading as i often fish alone and am usually quicker on my own than other guys with 2-3 people. i've always unhooked everything except for the winch line, backed down the ramp, and then released the winch to let the boat float off the trailer. but, this is sometimes a pain as i can't get to the winch without getting wet or climbing on the truck.

after reading some of the responses here i think i'll leave the winch hooked up for peace of mind

Leaving bow strap attached to prevent boat from floating away when launching on your own is a good idea.

Leaving bow strap attached for peace of mind thinking that will prevent it from sliding off the bunks backing down to the ramp is a bit of a stretch as that would never happen unless someone puts sliders on the bunks or lubricant, both of which are stupid. Different story with a roller trailer.

If you can launch on your own faster than 2 people you are doing exceptional.

When launching with a buddy - everything comes undone, buddy backs trailer down to water, boat comes off, trolling motor comes down to get the boat away from the ramp, buddy parks truck/trailer, I pick him up at the dock and away we go. Process takes maybe a minute in total.

When launching solo - everything comes undone except bow strap, which is loosened off about 2 feet. I back in until the boat slides slowly back on the trailer about a foot. I step on the trailer climb into boat and start it. Go to the front and undo the loose bow strap. If the bow strap gets tight, it won't come off, so that's the reason for only letting the boat slide off a foot, but leaving at least 2 feet loose on the strap. I drive the boat off the trailer in reverse, park at dock, tie up, return to park the truck, return to boat and drive away. Elapsed time is about 5 minutes.

I had to put teflon sliders on my bunks as where I launch, I couldnt get deep enough to float the boat off without submerging the back of the vehicle. I personally unhook everything about a foot from the waters edge and then back up quickly, hit the brakes and the boat slides off nicely. Gentle slops to ramp though.

I used liquid roller on my bunk boards for a fiberglass boat. It will slide off the trailer at a very low angle and pushes off with little friction. I always leave the strap on till it is in the water. On my aluminum boat without the liquid roller I still strap it but it is not really needed.

Art

winch stays on till the motor (at least) is in the water - whether I launch solo or with help. I stop once the skeg is free and clear of any scrapes then undo. Back in. Float boat. tie off boat far enough away the next guy can launch. Pull away. Perhaps over cautious from so many years of driving tractor trailer - but if you have ever had to crank a dropped trailer up in a parking lot after you already raised the gear - well lets just say once bitten twice shy...wink.gif

True story from launch attendant last week -- We were kinda watching some of the boaters who shall we say, aren't familiar with launch etiqutte or whose backing skills qualify them for Canada's worst trailer driver and having some good giggles " You wouldnt believe what happpened last long weekend." She says " Crazy line up, like 20 minutes at the worst point to launch. One of the guys drove the whole way here with nothing tied down. Backs up - boat falls off the trailer 15 foot from the water. Tow truck and major screw up time. Boat, motor - toast. The guys lucky it happened here and not on the highway"

10 seconds extra to undo once in the water. No brainer.