Outboard issues

I fished a tourney on st clair sunday and on the way out we were running 40mph and the motor bogged and we went down to 25mph but it sounded normal just no power , when we slow down you can feel the 3rd cylynder kick back on and start powering the boat it works fine at idle but as soon a you throttle it it boggs down I think it's a coil/plug or a carb/fuel prob . I am just looking for advice before I take it in hope this is the end of my engine issues it's only a year and a half old :wallbash:

If it is still under warranty, don't go fiddling around with it. There may be a known problem with an immediate fix. Playing around with it yourself may violate your warranty or take an easy warranty fix and turn it into a real headache.

About the only thing you can do without violating your warranty is the plugs. Easy enough to narrow down the cylinder if you want to but don't go changing coils or the like.

Good luck. Motor issues really bum me out.

If it is still under warranty, don't go fiddling around with it. There may be a known problem with an immediate fix. Playing around with it yourself may violate your warranty or take an easy warranty fix and turn it into a real headache.

About the only thing you can do without violating your warranty is the plugs. Easy enough to narrow down the cylinder if you want to but don't go changing coils or the like.

Good luck. Motor issues really bum me out.

Larry,we don't know when he bought it exactly?, I'd still do a quick coil change if necessary, the problem cyl will be wet. Quick coil swap,no ONE will know the diff except for us .lol.

Edited by davey buoy

No it was a brand new 2 stroke warranty is only 1 year factory and the offer up to 5 years extended for $2800 which I couldn't justify paying 50% of the retail cost of the motor on extended warranty .Thanks for the imput guys the bottom cylinder is "wet" and I am going to replace the plugs and the coil on the bottom cylinder and hope that's the end of it I have suspected the coils were messing up as it occationally would hesitate while accelerating wish me luck :wallbash:

No it was a brand new 2 stroke warranty is only 1 year factory and the offer up to 5 years extended for $2800 which I couldn't justify paying 50% of the retail cost of the motor on extended warranty .Thanks for the imput guys the bottom cylinder is "wet" and I am going to replace the plugs and the coil on the bottom cylinder and hope that's the end of it I have suspected the coils were messing up as it occationally would hesitate while accelerating wish me luck :wallbash:

Also take a close look at the plug wire to the coil. Could be cut or damaged somehow.

Also take a close look at the plug wire to the coil. Could be cut or damaged somehow.

I did inspect the wire but I suspect it is the coil itself from the kicking back in at low rpm's my buddy is a small engine mech and fixes seadoo's regularily I just cant seem to get ahold of him LOL Thanks for the idea's

I did inspect the wire but I suspect it is the coil itself from the kicking back in at low rpm's my buddy is a small engine mech and fixes seadoo's regularily I just cant seem to get ahold of him LOL Thanks for the idea's

I'm with you on the coil,you can't easily swap them to see if a different plug fouls?.At least you'll know more when you talk to him.

Just thinking about it a spare coil if that's not the problem ,still not a bad idea.

Edited by davey buoy

$2800!!!! I don't blame you for passing on that; you can buy a lot of coils for that kinda bread!

I guess I'm pretty fortunate getting 6yrs at no additional cost.

Good luck with the repair.

Bottom plug should be wet.It`s wet from the other cyls draining down.A fouled plug should have heavy carbon build up.

Get a spark tester it will make things easier.

That makes sense and yes it had alot of junk on it when I looked at them they are (plugs) NGK without the bent peice for the spark to jump to (not sure what it's called ) but the the white insulation on the plug has black marks across it . the thing that is bugging me is it works good at idle and just above but bogs when you hit the throttle.

I had the same issue with my '91 2 stroke this spring.

Problem was a bad plug. Been fine since it was replaced.

Change it first and if the problem is still there change the coil.