Buying A New TV (Definately NOT Fishing)

Photoz

id make another comment but craig ritchie covered everything i would say. couldnt agree more half of TV knowledge is tribal/water cooler talk and has no basis in fact, or is old school.

i tried to swing a friend to the liquidator i buy most of my tvs from. he walked into future shop and bought a 3500 dollar tv for 2600 just by asking. big box and boutique stores have room to move. i buy and sell dozens of speakers and receivers each year, do some home install, etc. and i never buy from a retailer at all. but someone has to.

consider the liquidators they have equivalent if not better warranties than the big box and the extra savings protects you slightly from the HUGE drop in prices on electronics. remember everything you are looking at today is going to get cleared out at 50% within a year or so..

so a 1000$ tv on sale at 859$ is gonna be 549$ on boxing day, and they will sell the last unit as old stock for 499$ eventually.

Don't stress over it, just get a LED the size you want from a reputable brand, picture quality is all pretty good on tv's nowadays.. samsung's are a great choice. Plasma's aren't ideal for bright rooms, get an LED if it's upstairs in the house.

99% of people couldnt tell you the difference between LCD and LED. Except maybe one is 200$ more.

by the numbers, plasma gives you the best "numbers" for the dollar. ie specifications you can use to pick one over the other.

I think you mean LED and CFL.

These are the type of back lighting used to illuminate the LCD TVs.

the advantage of LED is they use less power so they put out off less heat. If you put a standard LCD TV in a smaller room it will keep the room very warm. For example I have a 47inch in a 10x10 and we can not close the door in the summer because of the heat. Less power means they are cheaper to operate as these larger TVs are power eaters

Plasma is still the superior technology, some people like the look of bright led's, that would be because they don't like to watch tv as it was meant to be watched, extremely bright over blown colors might look good in the store but plasmas will perform better and look more realistic at home. Good plasmas do not suffer nearly as much as they used to from glare problems, thats more of a myth now, but you still wouldn't want to have it in direct sunlight, but then no tv would look good in that situation, the viewing room should be dark. Plasma also provides uniform screen brightness and picture, most lcd tv's cfl or led back lit will not be as good, none really. The st50 from panasonic is a good choice, i have the st30 from last year and its great, i recently needed a software update and within a few days of talking to panasonic they had sent someone over to do it. Also plasma burn in isn't an issue anymore on the better models, unless you really abuse it, and even then it will normally go away in time.

Other factors are how bright the room you will be putting the TV in.

I've heard Plasmas are better in like a basement and LCD, LED are better in a brighter room.

Personal preference I think.

Seriously look at Samsung, costco has some killer prices on thier upper end LCD tv.

My brother-in-law has a 46" Sony (not sure of the model) but it's about the same level as my Samsung

and my tv has a way better picture. People say it all the time that even the news looks better on ours.

I've had my samsung series 7 (i think thats what it is haha) for 2+ years with no issues at all.

i meant LCD and LED. and it wasn't a question.

LED is the back lighting method.

It is actually an LCD screen with LED back lighting as opposed to CFL (compact flourescent lighting) back lighting.

There are 2 different arrangements of LED back lighting and one arangement for CFL.

LED backlighting comes in edge or matrix. Edge being where the perimeter of the screen is lit while matrix uses LEDs that are spread throughout the rear of the LCD screen. CFL is edge lit only.

With this information we can glean some information about picture quality as it pertains to LCD televisions.

Edge lit screens are brighter towards the edge of the screen because of the design. The blacks are also not as black due to light bleed because of the way the screen is lit.

Matrix back lighting has the ability due to the distributed nature of the LEDs to have more even light and better blacks because the LEDs can be controlled more precisely in an area where the picture is supposed to be black (ie. they can beturned off so much less light bleed is evidenced.

Their are however true LED screens that the image is actually produced by LEDs.

The giant screens you see at sports stadiums are built this way.

So now you know. ;)

Im very happy with our Samsung. Stay away from RCA. :wallbash:

Same here.

You may want to consider that if you are using your TV to watch HDTV 1080p you are supposed to be alot closer to your tv than previously recommended. HD has alot more detail that you would not be able to see at a distance if the tv is not of adequate size.

I would suggest for you to determine you viewing distance and then to go to the store to see for youself. Start at that distance and walk right up to the screen that interest you. If as you walk towards the screen you start to notice more detail, then the screen is not big enough for your viewing distance. Personally I find aything more than 10' and I loose detail on a 50"

http://www.the-home-...l#axzz24O9uW96G