Buying A New TV (Definately NOT Fishing)

Photoz

One tip; I followed best buy, future shop, 2001 audio video, bay, sears flyers every week for almost 3 months to get the best deal.

Once I thought I had the best deal n a 42" LCD at best buy, I went to Costco and found it for 50 bucks cheaper. On top of the better price, Costco adds an additional one year warranty on top of first year manufacture warranty for no cost. Two years where id have to pay extra for that. Buy it from Costco.

Todays TV's are all HD. 720P is all you need but i usually go for 1080P cuz I',m a gear slut and usually it's really not much more cost.. Blue ray can use 1080P as can PS3 but the HD converter from the cable or sat providers only use up to 720P. The set top box outputs in 1080P but the source is still 720P at best. If you want to you can up convert old VCR tapes to 1080P. P stands for progressive scaN. They usually have interactive feature videos to show all of the bells and whistles.

HDMI inputs are very necessary and you really need about 3. Cable box, DVD ot blue ray and a spare. I use A Western Difital media player for some of my photographic work. You never know whats around the corner.

Plasma are getting blow out the door right now and they aren't a bad set but they do run hotter and they do take a bit more power than LCD or LED. I belive LED runs cooler and mat be brighter. (a whiter back light)

I echo the chorus. You can't go wrong with samsung. I've had one for 5 years now. My sony is 10 years old but LCD rear projection and old technology. My daughter owns 2 samsungs and my son has one. There has been absolutely no problem.

Buy the middle range Samsung. Each model range varies from basic cheap to over abundance of bling. Usually there is a set right in the middle that does the job without being rediculous.

Find a site that does a full comparison of features. Look at the sets you are surveying side by side and be aware, the video they play on the sets is designed to make the set look good.

Sony and Sharp are premium sets but both have base models. Panasonic has always been reliable as well. When I buy another it will be Samsung.

Good Hunting :good:

Sorry Photoz I can't add anything constructive here but I can only say I'm still happy with my 2 of my TV's, a cheap which is now old, 27" picture tube style from Wally world and an even older 28" ? Sears version of a JVC that came with a 3 year warranty standard back then and not optional. I also have a flat screen 19" RCA (lcd, plazma which I doubt, I don't know and don't care) bought a couple of years ago and hate it! Too damn complicated! I like the old TV's, simple, no hastles, turn 'em on watch some mindless tv shows and that's it.

I like the KISS theory...keep it simple s_ _ _ _ _. And I haven't found one TV show, a sports event or even a movie worthy enough for me to spend the big bucks on a new TV set. Plus Cogeco doesn't offer a decent signal that's worth a dime either. I just want reliability, that's all I ask for and from what has been said here none of the brands discussed have offered that.

Hope you find what you're looking for and it remains trouble free for a good long time. :thumbsup_anim:

Just an opinion of a bored insomniac at 4:30 in the morning and has been awake since 3 A:M.

The TV doesn't do anything other than show you the pic. What ever you use to recorder will be broadcast in the same manner. Don't stress about it, just to get a nice new TV

I didn't word that properly . . . . I KNOW the TV doesn't record anything, but I was wondering if these new fangled TV's needed a new fangled recorder? It would seem that my present DVD recorder will suffice. I'm not much into movies, and what I record from the TV isn't all that impressive? But thanks for the input, I know that question, the way I put it, sounded kinda dopey! (Heh . . heh!)

I have this Panasonic and its amazing. I priced it at sears and it was 1200 less there then best buy. So best buy matched that price.

TC-P65ST50

65" SMART VIERA Full HD 3D Plasma television

MSP: $3,199.99

Progressive Full HD 3D*1

NeoPlasma panel

2500 Focused field drive

12,286 Shades of gradation

Infinite Black Pro

Pro setting menu

Fast switching phosphors

Vivid colour creation

Web smoother for Motion picture

2D-3D conversion

3D Real sound with 8-train speakers

VIERA Connect

Web browser

Built in WiFi

DLNA

3D Media player

SD photo gallery

Game mode

HDMI terminals (x3)

USB terminals (x2)

VIERA remote App capability

VIERA Link™

VIERA tools

eHelp

Mercury and lead free panel

Long panel life (up to 100,000 hours)

Eco mode

Crystal frame design

*1 3D eyewear is required for viewing 3D images.

I have this Panasonic and its amazing. I priced it at sears and it was 1200 less there then best buy. So best buy matched that price.

TC-P65ST50

65" SMART VIERA Full HD 3D Plasma television

MSP: $3,199.99

Progressive Full HD 3D*1

NeoPlasma panel

2500 Focused field drive

12,286 Shades of gradation

Infinite Black Pro

Pro setting menu

Fast switching phosphors

Vivid colour creation

Web smoother for Motion picture

2D-3D conversion

3D Real sound with 8-train speakers

VIERA Connect

Web browser

Built in WiFi

DLNA

3D Media player

SD photo gallery

Game mode

HDMI terminals (x3)

USB terminals (x2)

VIERA remote App capability

VIERA Link™

VIERA tools

eHelp

Mercury and lead free panel

Long panel life (up to 100,000 hours)

Eco mode

Crystal frame design

*1 3D eyewear is required for viewing 3D images.

Depends on what you want out of it. LED has the best picture in my opinion. If you like live sports then think about plasma, 600 Hz keeps the ghosts out of the picture. Make sure you get at least 2 HDMI ports. Stay away from plasma if its going to be used for video games, the ticker will burn in. LG has never let me down, Panasonic is top of the line though.

That sounds like a helluva TV, (TC-P655T50) but I paid just over 5 thou for the 36" flat-screen Sony XBR 13 years ago . . . from what I've heard over the past few years, parts become UNavailable after about 5 years, I don't wish to take a chance on a $3000.00+ 'throw-away' TV that MIGHT (or might not) outlive me. It would likely take me a year just to figure out how to turn it on! So far Panasonic & Samsung seem to be most favoured here. And L G too . .. . I've never heard of L G , how long have they been around?

Just finished reading this thread, and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I work for a BigBox, in the electronics department. I don't sell, I just hook up all of the electronics, and keep them runnin' 12 hours a day, 363 days a year.

[center]BRANDS[/center]

SONY - Avoid them. They're not what they used to be, but priced like they are. Sony has gotten out of manufacturing their own components. They buy parts from other makers, and that just increases costs.

LG - Good TVs, that have come a long way in the 10 years I've been watching them. If 3D is your thing, they offer the best bang for your buck. Passive glasses and upconverting of ANY 2D signals on most of their TVs. (x5600-x5800 models, if memory serves)

PANASONIC - More expensive than most, but their boards are delicate. They only TVs I've seen the connectors fall off of the boards were Panasonic. I've seen it more than once over the years.

SHARP - Again, good TVs, but priced slightly more expensive than other manufacturers for similar features.

SAMSUNG - Quality is among the very best, and their 3D is the most impressive. I'm legally blind in one eye, so I have almost no depth perception. The new x7000 and x8000 series, with the more expensive active glasses, showed me what 3D is. That being said, with the bells and whistles comes the price you gotta pay.

HAIER - New to North America, but they have been making TVs since 1997. Their selection isn't as varied as the other makers, and their prices are low as they are trying to gain market share in North Amrerica. They also have the lowest rate of return among the brands I've listed, and more than half of their returns are to increase screen size.

TOSHIBA - I actually own one, although it's 3 years old. Now, I would lump them in with SONY, and stay away.

[center]SOUND[/center]

All of these TVs, generally, come with 2 down firing speakers. 3-10 watts. For anything more than the most basic sound, you're going to want to add a home theater. Stay away from sound bars unless you're truly limited for space. Good sound can only come from moving air, and little speakers can't move as much as larger ones. Sound bars are generally VERY limited for connectivity. Make a list of how you are going to hook everything up before you go into the store, and let the salesperson know how you're going to do it.

As I said, this is just from my own observances, dealing with these TVs for the past 15 years. If you have any other questions, fire away.

I have an LG 55" 3D and very happy. There was no premium for the 3D when I bought so why not go with 3D? There are two types of 3D; active and passive. The former requires more expensive (proprietary??), bulkier, heavier, battery operated glasses, the latter does not. LG uses passive, Samsung (I believe) active. In terms of programming it varies by provider, but there is not much out there as of yet.. I am on Shaw Direct satellite we get occasional free 3d programs and I believe a PPV 3D channel. For the most part you are limited to 3D Blu-Rays of which there is a rapidly growing amount.

LG, Samsung and Panasonic are the 3 brands too look at IMO -- LG are likely the cheapest good quality TVs, Samsung builds a good product priced a little higher and Panasonic are great if you have the $$$ and couch potato enough to warrant a higher end TV like that. LG IMO, are the best bang for the buck for the casual viewer.

If you are concerned with such matters, LED TVs will hurt least on your monthly Hydro bill, Plasma most. The power consumption difference is not insignificant.

Edited by Raf

I have a 5 years old Sony XBR and it now has periodic flashes and negative white screen problems. Checking on the internet, many other people have similar or worse problems for this vintage XBR. It apparently is a soldering problem on one of the circuit boards. Since it is no longer under warranty, I'm outta luck unless I want to pay hundreds of dollars to fix it. I'm waiting for it to finally pack it in and then get something other than Sony. I'm partial to Samsung.

Edited by Randy

things to remember when buying today's TV's

1)They do not last like the old ones they are now disposable and next week it will be cheaper (for the price they used to be they had to last 20 years)

2)what ever your budget is spend 40% of it on a sound system. TV is way better when you can hear it and feel it. A good sound system will make a bad TV way better than a good TV with a bad sound system

3)LCD for upstairs Plasma for the basement

4)Plasma for 50 inch or bigger

5)do not buy it from a place that shows 50 TV's side by side because they play with the colour to make some look worse to up sell you

6)best deal is Costco by far because of the warranty 2 years vs 1 year and ask anyone that has had a issue with a TV and it is almost always within the first 18 months. Also 90 day price guarantee (went back 3 on my last TV and they gave me a credit back every time with no issue)

7)do not get suckered into expensive cables, you only need a thin layer of gold not a thick layer like monster cables or the other cables they try to up sell you on. The reason you put more gold on a connector is for repeated plugging and unplugging. How many times do you take the cables off once you are set up?

I have 3 LG's

32 inch LCD 6 years no issues

47 inch LCD 5 years no issues

60 inch Plasma 2 years no issues

I like my TV

x2 on the sound system.

I have a Bose Cinemate system. It's not super high end, but it's the best bang for your buck in the $500-$700 range.

Don't buy the home theater in a box solutions with those silly tower speakers... They just look impressive.

Sound is better handled by companies other than the TV makers.

Bose

Klipsch

Denon

Yeah, I've got a bit O $$$ invested in my sound system too.

Actually about 6X what I have into the TV. :rolleyes:

To debunk a couple of myths .....

1. Plasma looks great in a dark room, but does not absolutely require it. Panasonic had a bunch of plasma displays in various airports over the past winter, where they were often fully exposed to bright sun (sometimes glaring off snow), and yet they all looked terrific. You do not need to confine a plasma screen to a cave to have it look good.

2. None of the manufacturers make all of the inside components themselves. Virtually every TV out there contains a number of major parts and components made by other (competing) brands. It is simply more cost-efficient for LG to buy tuners or circuit boards from Sony than to make their own - just as it is cheaper for Sony to buy LCD panels from Sharp than start their own manufacturing line. It has been this way for at least 10 - 15 years (just like computers), yet many people still believe all the parts in their TV were made by the same company. The end result is, there isn't as much difference between brands as some manufacturers (or salespeople) would have you believe.

3. Understand that each store will fiddle with the set-up on the display models so that the brands they make the highest profits on will always look best. They all do this - particularly the big box chains.

4. TVs have become disposable. None of them are made to last, so don't get sucked in to paying a ton of money for something that you will likely have to replace within 10 - 12 years.

5. Count me X3 on the sound system. Makes all the difference in the world!

Consumer Reports does a lot of TV comparisons each year. If in doubt, subscribe and get their reports. That's the best, and only truly unbiased, information out there.

Enjoy your new TV.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

To debunk a couple of myths .....

1. Plasma looks great in a dark room, but does not absolutely require it. Panasonic had a bunch of plasma displays in various airports over the past winter, where they were often fully exposed to bright sun (sometimes glaring off snow), and yet they all looked terrific. You do not need to confine a plasma screen to a cave to have it look good.

2. None of the manufacturers make all of the inside components themselves. Virtually every TV out there contains a number of major parts and components made by other (competing) brands. It is simply more cost-efficient for LG to buy tuners or circuit boards from Sony than to make their own - just as it is cheaper for Sony to buy LCD panels from Sharp than start their own manufacturing line. It has been this way for at least 10 - 15 years (just like computers), yet many people still believe all the parts in their TV were made by the same company. The end result is, there isn't as much difference between brands as some manufacturers (or salespeople) would have you believe.

3. Understand that each store will fiddle with the set-up on the display models so that the brands they make the highest profits on will always look best. They all do this - particularly the big box chains.

4. TVs have become disposable. None of them are made to last, so don't get sucked in to paying a ton of money for something that you will likely have to replace within 10 - 12 years.

5. Count me X3 on the sound system. Makes all the difference in the world!

Consumer Reports does a lot of TV comparisons each year. If in doubt, subscribe and get their reports. That's the best, and only truly unbiased, information out there.

Enjoy your new TV.

I agree with everything here, except #3. I can't speak for other stores/chains, but not only do I NEVER adjust the settings when setting up floor model displays, but after talking with regional managers, etc. it has become part of our merchandising directive not to do so. Again, I'm not speaking for everyone, but not EVERYONe does this.

I also can't emphasize enough the importance of spending some cash on the sound, especially if you're a big movie fan, or listen to a lot of music.

make sure you see the guys at 2001 audio video they are canadian and they can beat any price. i did work at the owners house they are not franchised just one canadian owner. he said he is always better priced but cant spend as much in advertising like the bigger american companies.. i can also get you a deal 5% above cost at any location

Thank you very much, everyone who took the time to give me tips & advice, this is a virtual gold mine of tips. It's nice to know about sound systems . . . . I've always loved the 'home-theatre' style of sound, but these days I appreciate the TV's with good crisp colours. Unfortunately my tinitus has really screwed my hearing . . . . it sounds like I'm listening to everything from under a waterfall! In order to hear the TV, WITHOUT deafening the neighbours, I gotta crank the base right out, and put the treble about half way . . . . . a TERRIBLE waste of good sound on a great Tv, but I'm well past my 'best before' date.

On Sunday I decided to get a new camera, a Nikon Coolpix P510 (24mm - 1000mm / 42X) If I can learn to use it, THEN I'll buy a new TV. At the 1000mm end, I can count nose-hairs at 500'!

Lots of great advice here! The one thing I don't necessarily agree with is the low glare on the plasma. I own a plasma and there is a lot of reflection. That being said, from my understanding the newer models use a much better non-reflecting glass. So, it's more than likely you saw those ones in the airport. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned or still even holds true, but Samsung uses panels from three different manufacturers. Some claim one is better than the other. You can [or used to be able to] determine the origin based on a code written on the box.

Also, not sure if this was mentioned or still even holds true, but Samsung uses panels from three different manufacturers. Some claim one is better than the other. You can [or used to be able to] determine the origin based on a code written on the box.

Samsung MADE for others not others made for them. They still do too. They are the world leader in glass MGF for LCD/LED/Plasma TV's and monitors.

Before buying a new tv pls decide on a MAX budget (just for the tv). Pls don't include cables, amps, bluray players, etc...

I can tell you the retailers aren't making lots of margin on new TV's. With your budget pls go to 2001 audio video and ask for last years top models. I'd go Samsung or pany for plasma. Sharp or Samsung for LED. If you want 3D go LG for passive glasses.

2001 can offer the best deals, skip ff/bestbuy.

Don't spend anymore than your max budget as prices will drop 30% a year.

If anybody needs help with a certain tv send me a PM.