my inner race on inside bearing keeps seizing

soobnoob

is it a hub or axle problem?

the inner race on the inside bearing keeps seizing onto the axle no matter how much I clean and grease it up. this only happens on one side. I replaced the bearing, repacked it. took it out for one trip and the same thing happened. I get the "whirrrrrrrrrrr"ing sound when i spin the tire so something's up....but what?

any feedback is appreciated.

is it a hub or axle problem?

the inner race on the inside bearing keeps seizing onto the axle no matter how much I clean and grease it up. this only happens on one side. I replaced the bearing, repacked it. took it out for one trip and the same thing happened. I get the "whirrrrrrrrrrr"ing sound when i spin the tire so something's up....but what?

any feedback is appreciated.

The inner cone may not be properly seated causing the race to only contact part of it.

the hub doesn't have/need a race. it's conical so contacts the bearings directly.

you're thinking it's the hub that's giving me grief?

It sure does. As Dan has shown you. They are indeed there and need to be replaced and seated properly as fisherman has said as well.

And dont forget to palm pack the bearings with grease,before installing them. Throwing bearings in and pushing grease in the hub, is not good enough.

Sorry I didn't sat that,but that's how you do it,as per Brian. Kinda took that for granted,good call!!Make sure it's the water repellant grease,can't remember right now but that is critical.

Edited by davey buoy

If you have a bench grinder around, keep one of the old cones and lightly grind off the outside. You can then use it to reset the new cone as you drive it in, that way you won't be beating the new one to hell. As for preloading bearings, I've never done it, and have not had any bearing issues. If they're too tight, you'll burn them out before you hit the first stop sign. A bit of slack is better than too tight.

yeh they've been palm packed...

anyone know where i can get just the seal and the washer? does PA have em? I had gotten the kits from CT but i don't recall seeing just the seals.

Whenever I bought a bearing kit the inner seal came with it,but any trailer shop would have what you need I would think. Make sure there is a dust cap on the wheel as well and pack it. Since I have been introduced to bearing buddy's what a difference,add a couple pumps every other time or three you go out,real nice.