Line for Muskie's

Millhouse2020

I was wondering what the muskie hunters opinions were on the minimum lb test of line they use when muskie fishing. I know fisherman these days generally use braids between 65-80lb test, maybe even 100. Does anyone use 50lb test line? I would think for casting especially the smaller diameter line would give you better casting distance? 50lb string is pretty tough to break as well, especially if you have a good leader on the business end.

80lb minimum is what I use, casting distance is not an issue with baits that weight 2oz+. A weak(er) lb test line is when the $20 lure suddenly stops mid-air on a 'professional overrun' and sails off into the distance after the 50lb line snaps.

Edited by Raf

Most of my reels have 80-100#. I lost one og my favourite lures at LOTW when I hooked into a fish with 65#. The fish raked me across the rocks and broke me off. I'm not sure if stronger line would have made a difference, but I know the 65# feels significantly weaker than 80#+

I currently have 50lb on and its not a good idea at all. Heres why.

After missing a beaut fish on a figure 8, my 65lb that was previously on the 300e, did a high speed stop and I lost my favorite bulldawg. Talk about heartbreaking. I obviously had to continue fishing that day and the shop at shore only had 50lb so i spooled it up. My buddy ended up boating a real nice one and i got a couple snots after we went back out so it was worth it.

I'm going back to 80lb asap!

I think its more of a confidence thing with me.My only experience trolling Musky is on the St Lawerence.Fast current, lots of weed mats floating in the current,snags and zebra muscles.If i lose a lure casting, i will switchlaugh.gif

I think its more of a confidence thing with me.My only experience trolling Musky is on the St Lawerence.Fast current, lots of weed mats floating in the current,snags and zebra muscles.If i lose a lure casting, i will switchlaugh.gif

Thanks, All the Best!

I have to troll myself, it just seems more efficient, but don't happen to vary the pound test. I don't have to deal with any current to speak of, though.

Another supporter of 80# or better.

I see a lot of you guys run powerpro. I however have a serious dislike for it. A little tougher to find, but I use P-Line Spectrex. Almost zero fade, zero fray, and zero line bleed. Plus it seems much quieter running through the guides.

80lb minimum. Think when you're trolling at 5mph and a muskie hits the bait at about 30. You need the shock strength. Same as if you snag up at those speeds.

Power Pro is excellent but don't overlook Tuff Line. A lot cheaper and I have never had any issues with it at all.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I will have to get me some 80lb braid to go on the new Calcutta.

I am a real fan of 80 but Suffix 832 - switched a year ago and would never go back - I know PP has a good following as well but find it noisy in the guides