by by calcutta te

esoxansteel

As I had previously reported about hearing of the demise of the Calcutta TE, the rumour was put to truth when a friend of mine went to order 2 new ones, only to be told by the rep that they are no longer available and is been replaced by the Calcutta D, which can be googled, and shows that the big metal star drag has been removed, and the small cap which use to be the grey plastic cap to cover the nut that holds the handle on is now the new plastic drag.

As I had previously reported about hearing of the demise of the Calcutta TE, the rumour was put to truth when a friend of mine went to order 2 new ones, only to be told by the rep that they are no longer available and is been replaced by the Calcutta D, which can be googled, and shows that the big metal star drag has been removed, and the small cap which use to be the grey plastic cap to cover the nut that holds the handle on is now the new plastic drag.

It's a shame,but that seems to be the way of the future. Lot's of plastic and China content.

It's a shame,but that seems to be the way of the future. Lot's of plastic and China content.

I don't know where you got the plastic and China idea from

the drag star is plastic, but it doesn't affect the build quality at all. In fact, most of the components of the reel are still aluminum.

the reel is made in Japan

they change the location of the drag star to allow the handle to be closer to the gear case hence a more effective transfer of torque

does anybody here own the calcutta D?

it looks like you need a screwdriver to open the sideplate to adjust the brakes? that would be the deal breaker for me

they could've moved the handle inward and kept a traditional star drag, that new drag doesn't look like it would be as easy to adjust with cold fingers and gloves

did they finally detent the spool tension knob like it is on the conquest?

I'll buy a few more TE's that are locally in stock before I get the new model

I don't know where you got the plastic and China idea from

the drag star is plastic, but it doesn't affect the build quality at all. In fact, most of the components of the reel are still aluminum.

the reel is made in Japan

they change the location of the drag star to allow the handle to be closer to the gear case hence a more effective transfer of torque

My mistake then.That seems to be the way some reels are going.Maybe not all of them. Still prefer metal over plastic if I can!

Edited by davey buoy

I am used to using the traditional star drag and my TE is my favourite reel.

Having said that, I wonder if part of the reason the traditional star drags are as big as they are is because they have been between the reel handle and the body of the reel. They had to be big. I guess we'll see. :dunno:

I have wondered about this reel as well. It seems like Shimano put a lot of r & d into this reel, and it will be smaller and lighter than the past calcuttas. Every review that I have read online claims that the new drag is actually easier to use. My concern with this reel is that it will be a bit like the winch. A really good reel, but not a reel that will last a lifetime. I own a winch and a conquest and I can feel the difference between the two. I am afraid that the new calcutta will be a little like the winch. I am not sure that it will hold up to the rigours of pulling in big blades.

Having said that, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, and will probably own one. Another new real that really interests me is the Daiwa Lexa 301, because it comes in a lefty and it is a high speed reel.

From my experience fishing musky, and it has only been 3 or so years, I have found that you must use the right tools. Pulling big blades is a very effective way of catching fish. There are only a few reels out there that can hold up to retrieving big blades, and the TE was one of them. I am not convinced that the calcutta D will be able to do so. Something about it being a smaller reel with a narrower spool. It will be a very good reel for tossing other musky baits. That part of the equations sucks, as there are not a lot of options for pulling big blades if you are a lefty like me.

We will see how this one works out, but in my honest opinion, you cant beat perfection like the Calcutta TE, I will wait until some muskie guys put it to the test, and see what they say before i drop 400.00 on 1 or 2, From the web the pic looks OK, just not use to seeing the drag where it is now located.

"Anglers will need to commit to the adjustments they make since it is not possible to change the brakeweight settings on the fly without a quick access sideplate. The benefit of this design is the solid feel we experienced earlier as well as extra protection from corrosion for the spool bearings as well as the frame. "

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast2012calcuttapg2.html

I have a 401 that I've used equally downrigging or jigging in salt, bottom bouncing/drifting tidal waters, trolling and casting for pike and musky...corrosion has never been an issue, just rinse in fresh water and dry with a towel, clean it completely after being submerged in salt

the review of the drag somewhat alleviates the idea that it's hard to adjust

if only they just sealed the quick access side plate, then they'd really have perfection

Bad-Ass reels is all I have to say... I've been fortunate enough to play with them all summer long while out on Dave's boat... I liked the TE's but I'm 5'6" on a good day and love the fact that I can actually comfortably palm the Calcutta D's... plus they just look cool! haha We did this video for i-Cast which has a little info in it.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KMjKkYb39nA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I fished it for 3 days in May. It's a great reel. The gearing is better it's lighter, cranks well and the micro drag and solid frame are nice.

Just my 2 cents....

I think most of us think it will be fine Mike. The question is how will it compare to the te?

I love my shimanos but they have cheapened some past favourites; summed up with one word, curado.

It is no TE, that's for sure.

But then again, the new crucials are no crucials.

the new curado is no curado

the new cronarch is no cronarch

I can go on and on....

Just do your research and know what you are buying. You cannot assume if your buying a Curado, Calcutta, Chronarch, Crucial, etc, that you are getting the quality you once expected by those names.

It is no TE, that's for sure.

But then again, the new crucials are no crucials.

the new curado is no curado

the new cronarch is no cronarch

I can go on and on....

Just do your research and know what you are buying. You cannot assume if your buying a Curado, Calcutta, Chronarch, Crucial, etc, that you are getting the quality you once expected by those names.

Exactly my point,my new caenan (love it) but the body feel is a little to plastic and moves at the front when retrieving. Probably nothing wrong but my old spider ,solid as a rock.