Rainbows Lake Huron

Millhouse2020

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with Rainbows in Lake Huron, specifically around Manatoulin Island and the North Channel? If so, any suggestions on presentations? I would like to take my fiance out again soon once our wedding is over. She keeps saying how much she enjoyed our rainbow fishing trip in south bay last year and I would like to make sure she catches some more. Last year we had a great day trolling driving crankbaits. Not bad for 2 rainbow fishing newbies.

Cheers,

I've seen Daryl Cronzy flatline very small Williams and Mooselock lures around the commercial rainbow pens on Manitoulin. They hammered them and, as Cronzy does, they ate them too. Rainbows in open water are among the least discriminating fish there is so crankbaits, J-9's, small stick baits and small spoons will all work if you know where the fish are likely to be found. If they are in thick concentrations casting to them is much more fun.

Thanks for the tips. I don't have downriggers so we did flatline troll. I have some dipsy divers I can use to get the baits down further and plan to experiment with those. I would like to try fishing the north channel since its not as far to travel as south bay. A fellow I spoke to a while back says he does well in the north channel off of Okechobee (sp?) road. I didn't get any further details as to where he puts in. I don't know if there is a marina there like at south bay. If so, I would want to put in there.

How do you find the commercial nets? I understand there are some in the area but not sure of location since i have never fished it before.