Tired of my braid

captpierre

Spent the last 2 wks at the cottage in the Kawarthas. The muskie bite was slow so concentrated on walleye and bass.

I love my Powerpro for trolling. Can tell right away if I'm dragging weeds. It's great for casting too but.....

Had several episodes using my spinning reel with 30 lb Powerpro, that after a bunch of casts, a massive knot/tangle comes off the spool.

Pretty much have to cut the line and retie the fluorocarbon leader. Pain in the ass.

I'm chucking smaller diving crankbaits and retrieving them in a slowjerk/pause fashion.

After studying the situation, I think because the line goes slack immediately after the casted lure lands, or during a pause in the retrieve, the braid goes on the spool a little slack. I think it is that brief slack that is the problem.

I'm not sure what to do. Does this happen to others?

Would it be better to use a lighter Powerpro or other braid. A heavier lure? Stick to mono? Change my retrieve?

I think there is a new type of Powerpro -smoother

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Happened to me last year. When using 20lbs PP on med-light gear.

The 20lbs PP didn't work well with my particular combo, I had a couple weeks straight of bird nesting. I switched rods and without really changing my fishing style (lots of twitching reeling in slack line) the 20lbs PP on med-light gear worked a bit better. I think a lot of the problem was caused by the rod design and the way it manipulated the line. The rod was designed for much lighter line.

I've since switched to 10lbs PP, so far I've had zero issues with my med-light combo... The 30lbs is probably just the wrong line for the gear you have. Maybe try lighter pp or a nanofil line, or if you want to keep 30lbs, get a different combo for it.

After you finish your cast either flip the bail manually or reel in just enough to flip the bail. Then pull your rod back like you are setting the hook to take all of the slack out of your line. Then proceed with your retrieve. This will prevent most tangles on a spinning reel.

Once your are used to it you will do it without even thinking about it.

A long time ago, I tried 30 lb Power Pro on a spinning reel and I did not like it either. I would use a much thinner line for a spinning reel. The much thinner line will not loosen as easily on the spool. You will also get much more casting distance with thinner line.

I haven't used braid on any spinning reels in over 10 or 12 years now. I like Fireline in 8 or 10 lb test and Nanofil in 4 lb test. I haven't tried Nanofil in any other size yet but I think that it will eventually replace my old Fireline that I bought over 10 years ago.

You should try Spider Thread it has no wax coatings so it's handling characteristics remain coincident and far less wind knots.

Snap casters always have more problems with braid. Couple things might help you, stop the line with your finger and close bail with hand and give the line a pull before reeling. Sounds complicated but will be routine quickly.

Or stop snap casting.

What John Bacon said - gotta keep it tight! I recall reading on either the Power Pro site or the instructions that come with the line that the bail should be closed manually. I crank the bail closed, slight pause while either lifting or swinging the rod to take up the slack then continue. Never had any problems with any type or strength of braid as long as I keep it tight. Gives new meaning to saying "tight lines" these days!

Michael

I use 8 lb fireline on my spinning setup, never had any trouble with that.

x2 on my walleye spinning set up.

I run 30 lb 832 on my bait casters, and have never had a problem.

The same thing you talked about happened to my uncle a few weeks back, also with 30 lb PP on a spinner. Had to cut off a bunch of line.

I use 30/40/50 lb Powerpro on my pike setups (3000/4000 series reels), and have had no issues... but I do the following to avoid any problems:

1) For the initial spooling, I always make sure to wind the line on nice and tight, and in the proper way off the spool to avoid line twist

2) Always use swivels or leaders with swivels when fishing with spinners

3) Don`t overspool the reel

Pete

Spent the last 2 wks at the cottage in the Kawarthas. The muskie bite was slow so concentrated on walleye and bass.

I love my Powerpro for trolling. Can tell right away if I'm dragging weeds. It's great for casting too but.....

Had several episodes using my spinning reel with 30 lb Powerpro, that after a bunch of casts, a massive knot/tangle comes off the spool.

Pretty much have to cut the line and retie the fluorocarbon leader. Pain in the ass.

I'm chucking smaller diving crankbaits and retrieving them in a slowjerk/pause fashion.

After studying the situation, I think because the line goes slack immediately after the casted lure lands, or during a pause in the retrieve, the braid goes on the spool a little slack. I think it is that brief slack that is the problem.

I'm not sure what to do. Does this happen to others?

Would it be better to use a lighter Powerpro or other braid. A heavier lure? Stick to mono? Change my retrieve?

I think there is a new type of Powerpro -smoother

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I have the exact same problem. I am using 30lb Sufix832. Was told it is because of the line being wound on the spool loose (slack line). Happens often when casting into the wind or windy days, especially with lighter baits. I switched to 8lb mono and it still happens. I will take a while to get used to closing the bail manually, and pulling up the rod to get a taught line before reeling in, but it helps. At the end of the day, I also take off my bait (nothing at the end of the line) and let out all of the line behind the boat as its moving. Reel it in to take out the line twist.

Also the first step is to make sure you put the line on the spool without line twist.

I also think it is partially because of my rod. The first eyelet up from the reel is big and allows for a lot of line flap when reelig (causing a loose wind around the spool).

Going to try 8-12 pound braid next year for my spinning reel.

In the meantime, I switched to a baitcaster with 30lb braid for my crankbaits and it never happens there.

30 lb might be too heavy for a 1000/2500 size reel, not sure what size reel you're using...but nothing wrong with using 30 on a 4000 size or larger

as everybody else mentioned, close bail manually and pull line tight helps, becomes second nature after a day or two

the biggest thing to help is to change the line lay on your spool...most every reel comes with extra spool washers, add one or two washers so you get a forward taper in your line profile...will help to eliminate tangles and add a few feet to your cast

Last season I put the whole 150 yard spool onto my 2500/3000 reels [i just couldn't waste it!!] and it was too much. It resulted in some lovely natural knots. I took about 20 yards off and it solved the problem for me.

Power Pro does make Super 8 Slick braid, but I believe it's just more round compared to the standard. I am not sure if that would help or not.

Alternatively, as mentioned, a fused superline might work (I've only used them ice fishing) or a co-polymer might be worth a try.

I used to use 6-8lb braid in my td-s spinning reel, but may be I guess the diameter is too small that it will create a funny squishing noise when I retrieve. Since then I end up using 20 lb braid due the the diameter is closest to a 6-8lb mono size! Smooth and long cast without any problem!

After you finish your cast either flip the bail manually or reel in just enough to flip the bail. Then pull your rod back like you are setting the hook to take all of the slack out of your line. Then proceed with your retrieve. This will prevent most tangles on a spinning reel.

Once your are used to it you will do it without even thinking about it.

X 2 for me!

Thanks everybody.

I'm using a Shamano Sahara 2500.

Will try a lighter braid. Maybe 15lb. Get the odd muskie fishing for walleye/bass. 8-10 lb might be too light

I'll get the Powerpro Super 8 Slick. Maybe Fireline. Will give you a report later. (BTW, noticed Shimano owns Powerpro on website)

Also, flipping the bale manually sounds like a good idea. When I bought the reel it was suggested to do that anyway, no matter which line is used.

thanks again. Peter

Interesting. Never heard of a Wavespin real. Sounds like it might be a big improvement.

Is the rest of the real made well? $80-100 on their site

Can't remember the WFN fishing show on the weekend but they were using them through out the show. No tangles,birds nests or anything. Looks a bit odd, but I'm sure it works well ,from what I saw. I do remember they were salt water fishing with them.:good: