The Big Decsion and Help

bh87ss

So the new/used boat search begins, I have looked hard at all available brands and power and have read many, many posts on the board so thankyou everyone.

So my choice is as follows in no particular order

Lund 1700 Fisherman with min 115 Hp yamaha

Lund 1800 Fisherman with min 150 Hp yamaha

Lund 1700 Pro Sport with min 115 Hp yamaha.

As most sellers want a strong commitment ie. deposit to water test, I was hoping there may be someone on the board that owns one of the above and would consider taking a guy out so I could see one in operation and get a better feal for the boats to narrow down the decision. Similar boats but I am sure all respond different on the water.

I would be more than happy to through anyone a few bucks for gas, the effort would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If open water on the Great Lakes is the plan bigger is better but all will work.

As for "As most sellers want a strong commitment ie. deposit to water test" if they are asking for reasonable costs to cover the costs water test fine but if it's anymore forget them as a seller. Too high of a deposit is a way of getting you to buy as your already out $.

I have friends who have 1650"s & 1700's & both boat are similar.

Depending on year check for wood rot on the side sills. Some can be quite punchy.

Edited by Woodsman

Well. IMHO you got the brands of the boat and motor right.

Your size choice will depend on # of people you fish with and the size of body of water.

I have a Lund 1750 and Yammy 115. Bought it in 2007 new as a multispecies boat including salmon trolling on Lake O. It's hardly big enough for Lake O but may be too big for the Kawarthas where I now cottage. It's nice to take 6-7 people for a boat ride though.

Good luck finding used. Boat show in the winter best for new.

Provided you can afford it without issue, I don't think you will regret going bigger in boat size and HP. If I hear boat owners say anything more often than not, its I wish I would have gone 1-2 feet bigger...

Whatever you decide from the selection you listed Im sure you will be delighted and have many years of fishing pleasure. I'm excited for you!