NF smoking ribs

skinny

ok so the Wife picked up some ribs and said lets smoke the for supper tomorrow

now I havn't doe a ton of this. My Brother and I built a smoker but he took over cause he knows everything.

I now have my own gas fires smoker it is a converted lay down barrel type where you would light the fire in one side then smoke traves thru and out. it has been converted to be fired on nat gas and i can hold temps as low as 150

so the ribs are on way here and when they get home I will get them in a brine

I'm looking for sugestions but here is the basic brine I will use

1/4 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

4 cups water

I'm not sure what to put in there with the brine

I will be smoking over one of the below

hickory

cherry

mesquite

any ideas or pointers please

I don't smoke ribs but do on BBQ. I will either use a rub I like and make at home or use ted readers rub then cover with brown sugar. Let sit in fridge 4+ hours the sugar will liquefy the ribs will be cooked indirect heat 250-350 1 1/2-2 hours bone down never turning the rub will carmalize and be amazing

The rub I make

granulated garlic

granulated onion

ground cumin

kosher salt

light brown sugar

paprika

pure chile powder

whole black peppercorns crushed

Edited by Mike P.

3-2-1 method

Before putting your ribs in the brine, pull off the membrane on the boneside.Your brine is solid but don't be afraid to add more than 4 cups of water. Make sure they are covered completely.I would go with the hickory or mesquite but I am a fan of hickory.

After pulling the ribs out of the brine, wash clean and dry off. I then apply a dry rub and liberally apply to both sides. One thing that I like to do is to slather prepared mustard on. Yes, plain yellow mustard.

Put on your smoker @ 220* for about 3-4 hours. Pull your ribs off and wrap them in aluminum foil and back in the smoker for another couple of hours. Pull em back off and unwrap the foil off. (The foil process really makes them tender) Back on the smoker for another hour. At this point you can add sauce if you wish.

Yummy first.gif

I don't smoke ribs but do on BBQ. I will either use a rub I like and make at home or use ted readers rub then cover with brown sugar. Let sit in fridge 4+ hours the sugar will liquefy the ribs will be cooked indirect heat 250-350 1 1/2-2 hours bone down never turning the rub will carmalize and be amazing

The rub I make

granulated garlic

granulated onion

ground cumin

kosher salt

light brown sugar

paprika

pure chile powder

Beauty Rub. Mine is about the same but I've got cayenne pepper in it as well. :clapping: :clapping:

ok so they have been in brine since about 9pm and I work till 1030 then ight hit fishing hole till noon. I will dry them off and try to build a rub not sure what we have here to bulid it

then I will follow the the info

I have smoked a ton of ribs in my day......and I have never put them in a brine....never even heard of putting RIBS in a brine....now fish is a whole different thing.....I always brine for fish......

For ribs I only use a DRY RUB......here's what I use.......it's simple, easy and the best part GOOD...

RIB RUB

6 lbs of Ribs

4 Tsp of Kosher Salt

2 Tsp of Sugar

1 Tsp of Tumeric

1 Tsp of Paprika

1 Tsp of Celery Salt

1 Tsp of Pepper

And of course the results..........

SmokedRibs6-18-10002.jpg

I don't have anything useful to add, but wanted to say that I had smoked ribs for the first time this year and wow they were good! Our host on our fishing trip to Expeditions North this year was kind enough to make some ribs and pass a sample out to all of his guests. I am not a big fan of BBQ ribs, but the smoked ribs were outstanding. I'd probably consider buying a smoker just for making ribs.

I,ll be pick,n up some ribs in the morning boys.

Always good tasting and meat falls off every time.

003-11.jpg

Yep,smoke pot and indirect heat. I do mine at 250 for 4 hours. I use a dry rub.Leave in the fridge for 10 hours. Then slap a wet rub in the morning. Sits again for 6 hours. Pull it out of the fridge and let it rest to room temps,then lay it on the BBQ.

Another one

rack002.jpg

Edited by Misfish

well had some issues and they turned out soso

first issue was I couldn't get the temp up in smoker seems because the gas line was off something climbed in and campped in the fitting and plugged the line.

next I couldn't seem to get the dampners set right and I would loose my flame.

so the smoking was off and on

in the end I tossed them on the bbq

they were not the best cut of ribs either.

hope to have better luck next time

thanks all

well had some issues and they turned out soso

first issue was I couldn't get the temp up in smoker seems because the gas line was off something climbed in and campped in the fitting and plugged the line.

next I couldn't seem to get the dampners set right and I would loose my flame.

so the smoking was off and on

in the end I tossed them on the bbq

they were not the best cut of ribs either.

hope to have better luck next time

thanks all

That's just part of the learning process.....I should of said I only use charcoal and real wood logs to smoke......I like either hickory or just some maple......maple is best for my fish and hickory is best for my ribs but they are pretty close to the same...........if you can convert your smoker to use charcoal to start the fire and then wood.....mine is big enough to use logs..........

GrillsontheDeck003.jpg

I have tried smoking ribs, but its too hard to control the temp on my cheap smoker so I do most of the work in the oven. Here is my recipe with a few cheats.

Pull the membrane off the bone side.

lightly rub a bit of "Liquid smoke" all over, then lots of garlic powder, fresh black pepper and kosher salt. In the oven at 250 for about 3 hrs, then finish on the BBQ for 20 min or so on very low with a bit of mesquite or hickory in the smoker box.

This makes them tender but crispy on the outside. Then dip in your favourite sauce as you eat them.

So after all this rib-talk, I decided yesterday to make some using the 3-2-1 method.

Pulled membrane and slapped on some of my rub.

DSC00708.jpg

Threw em on the egg at 240*

DSC00709.jpg

after 3 hours I pulled em off to be wrapped in foil

DSC00710.jpg

Used some cold bacon grease and dark brown sugar on both sides of the ribs and about a 1/4 cup apple juice and wrapped up secure in foil.

DSC00711.jpg

Back on the egg for another 2 hours.

DSC00712.jpg

Took off the foil and put em back on for another hour. I could tell at this point that they would be tender.

DSC00713.jpg

1 hour later, I pulled em off and foundered.

DSC00714.jpg

They look awesome I'm glad I bought some Tbones for tonight or I would be out getting some ribs and eating very late.

Thanks Mike, I was torn weather to do 3-2-1 or the method you described earlier. They looked worthy.gifworthy.gif as well. I did compare my rub recipe with yours and the only differences were that I have coriander and cinnamon included. So not much difference. good.gif

The rub I make

granulated garlic

granulated onion

ground cumin

kosher salt

light brown sugar

paprika

pure chile powder

Mike, how much of each do you add to your rub? This sounds like something I should tackle this week, lol.