Good impression of SAIL....

lew

I never go into big box stores (Sail/BPS) and expect some in-depth fishing recommendations from any of the staff. Let's be realistic, most of them aren't fisherman and even if they are, most of us here probably know more then they do anyhow. I'm not trying to come off as an ass, but it is what it is.. If I can go to a big box store and save a few bucks I will. I don't go into any fishing store looking for advice, I'll figure that out all on my own.

Hush up now...if everyone thought that way, Oshawa, Peterborough and a bunch of others would become clusterbleeps as well. A lot of people are happy there and so it should be.

I shopped at Gagnon's today, and started looking for a product on one of the shelves. A salesman walked by, looked like maybe even a manager. I asked him a question, he went to the back to get me an answer - but never returned, leaving me standing there for 10-15 minutes. :angry:

I got over it and kept browsing, at which point ran into Dave Mercer! He was there doing some shopping! I walked over, shook his hand and said hello, and introduced my son Nick to him. He was very down to earth, and an overall great guy. We chatted briefly about a local lake. Afterwards, my son beamed "That's the first famous person I have met!" Very cool. :thumbsup_anim: Maybe the staff member who forgot about me saw Dave lol...

I then went to the rod section, and called over another salesperson for some advice on a muskie rod... but it was obvious that this was not his area of expertise by any means. I left the store empty handed.

I crossed the street and headed to the Oshawa Sail. I headed up to the fishing area, and started looking at rods. Almost immediately, I was greeted by a salesman, who happened to be a bass guy. He didn't have the best answer for my muskie rod question, but called another staff member over who was. He gave me some great advice and helped me choose the right rod. Oh, he also price matched LeBaron for me on the rod! I left happy with the rod, some line and 4 muskie lures.

So - the moral of the story - big box is not always bad. I have had nothing but great service from the Oshawa Sail since it has opened. I have had just as much bad service as good in some of the smaller shops - but I have to give props to LeBarons for improving, they are much better now than in previous years. As in any sales industry, to succeed you need to have knowledgeable, customer focused staff on duty, who actually WANT to help you, not just do a job.

Pete

It was awesome!!!! Def the best outdoor stores, by far! Sure hope they come to Canada soon!

I go the the Pennsylvania Cabelas everytime I'm down that way. It's an amazing place to visit. The only problem is I always know exactly what I want as I'm walking in and then get completely overwhelmed gawking at things and half way home remember what I went for. w00t.gif

Of all the stores I've visited around here, hands down, bar none, the WORST, most RUDE service has been at LeBarons on Woodbine (and we're not talking long ago...earlier this year) Just terrible. I'll never go back.

I've been snubbed at Gagnons a couple times, and overheard some obviously inexperienced customers belittled. Educating is good if done politely.

Honestly, the best, friendliest service I've had has been from the big box stores.

I think that on a whole most, but not all, sales reps at the big box stores are less experienced / passionate about fishing than those who work at, or own, a smaller independent store. And for that reason, you get service from someone who doesn't have a chip on their shoulder.

Edit: I should mention I've always been served very well by the guys at Tightlines.

The thing that drives me absolutely nuts is seeing employees(even owners) at fishing stores getting arrogant and condescending with customers. The day Kevin VanDam is behind the counter selling me a pack of freaking hooks I'll accept it. I was in the infamous Hamilton fishing woXXX...store this year and saw it with two teenage boys. I walked over after the jerk was finished making them feel like he invented the fishing rod and helped them pick out basic plastics for smallmouth.

The opposite of that is Martin at Grimsby Tackle. He's a down to earth guy who tries to respectfully help everyone with no pressure or intimidation.

This concludes my rant for today.thumbsup_anim.gif

I'm sorry, but I'll keep my money here and support the little guy.

I always support the little guy too Dave, but when they don't have what I need, I hafta to move on to bigger stores. Up this way there aren't any places that carry alot of the stuff I need.

I always support the little guy too Dave, but when they don't have what I need, I hafta to move on to bigger stores. Up this way there aren't any places that carry alot of the stuff I need.

I understand Lew, I have bought some stuff from the big boys, that the little guy can't get. I like shotting the crap with my local guy for hours, some time I forget what I went there for. :D Great meeting place to meet the local boys. Some time a Timmy's will get you some secret spot or bait. :D

I go the the Pennsylvania Cabelas everytime I'm down that way. It's an amazing place to visit. The only problem is I always know exactly what I want as I'm walking in and then get completely overwhelmed gawking at things and half way home remember what I went for.

Hahah, that's exactly what happens!

I ended up walking out of Cabela's last night with a bunch of things that I wasn't even planning on! :thumbsup_anim:

I never go into big box stores (Sail/BPS) and expect some in-depth fishing recommendations from any of the staff. Let's be realistic, most of them aren't fisherman and even if they are, most of us here probably know more then they do anyhow. I'm not trying to come off as an ass, but it is what it is.. If I can go to a big box store and save a few bucks I will. I don't go into any fishing store looking for advice, I'll figure that out all on my own.

if you don't know the fact, do not make the assumption. But for those who think they know everything, then not much I can do about it.

I visted the store in Oshawa a couple of times the last two weeks. I always frequent their bargain bins - picked up a couple of packages of salamander baits for $2 each. They have very competitive pricing on soft plastics - Yum products were $4.50/12 and genuine yamamoto senkos were $6-7/pack. That's lower than all of the other stores I have seen. The average for Yum is $6-7 and Senkos are usually $9+. Also had clearance prices on summer clothing for 50% off. Picked up a couple of nice shimano t's for $10.

If paying more at an independant makes you feel good, go ahead, but unless a significant number of people are doing the same thing, it doesn't mean much. The only thing they can do to keep their doors open are lower the prices to be competitive.

Same reason why so many of us are shooping on-line through the states, it is just cheaper to do so and the internet has made great products more avialable.

I visted the store in Oshawa a couple of times the last two weeks. I always frequent their bargain bins - picked up a couple of packages of salamander baits for $2 each. They have very competitive pricing on soft plastics - Yum products were $4.50/12 and genuine yamamoto senkos were $6-7/pack. That's lower than all of the other stores I have seen. The average for Yum is $6-7 and Senkos are usually $9+. Also had clearance prices on summer clothing for 50% off. Picked up a couple of nice shimano t's for $10.

If paying more at an independant makes you feel good, go ahead, but unless a significant number of people are doing the same thing, it doesn't mean much. The only thing they can do to keep their doors open are lower the prices to be competitive.

Same reason why so many of us are shooping on-line through the states, it is just cheaper to do so and the internet has made great products more avialable.

senkos are now $6-7/pack everywhere you go. BPS lowered from $9.99 to 6.99

le baron $6 and change

the highest prices ive seen on them lately is at JB's

When they seen you coming into Gagnons Lews, they ran and lowered the price 60.00 to have such charm and grace honour their store, actually you got a steal, or the price might have been wrong, the legends from the 8 ft top n tail to the 9ft big nasties are 320.00 to 360.00 at Rollie and Helen's US prices.