Good impression of SAIL....

lew

I needed some terminal tackle that isn't available around here, and seeing as I had nothing to do to-day, I decided it was a good time to take the 1 hour drive and go down to Oshawa to visit the new SAIL store.

First thought was it was alot bigger than I figured it would be and they've also got a large parking lot.

When I walked inside and glanced around I was pleasantly surprised at the large selection of outdoor gear they've got and the way it's displayed around the store. I spent an hour wandering around just looking at everything even though I didn't really need much. The staff seemed friendly and I was asked several times if I needed help with anything.

The store is well laid out and everything is easy to find.

I didn't spend much time comparing prices but was surprised to see them asking ALOT more money for at least one fishing rod. I purchased a St. Croix Legend Tournament musky rod at Gagnons a couple months ago for $260 and SAIL was asking $320 for the exact same rod.

If alot of their higher end gear is that much more expensive than other places they may end up losing business.

Other than that I was impressed with the store and I'm admittedly kinda confused with all the negative comments about the place I've seen posted here in the past.

Anyways, I liked the place and will definetly go back again and just thought I'd share my thoughts......for whatever that's worth :thumbsup_anim:

I've only been happy with ymy visits so far....but I AM surprised to hear of that much of a price difference. So far they have been really sharp on prices....mind you...I don't go lookin' at the real high end stuff angel.png

I will say that over the last couple years I've really seen the value of competition. I love my small stores, like JB's, Angling Specialties, and if you consider them small, LeBaron. Always find good deals, and so far, the only one that's been getting less of my money is BPS.

I love my small stores, like JB's,

Yeah, JB's has been my go-to store for years but he's 2 hours away from me now and I have NO interest in driving thru Toronto again....ever again :wallbash:

There's not many tackle shops around here and only the very basic musky gear is available, so most times now I just order on-line if I can't find it down in Oshawa.

I've been happy with my experiences at SAIL so far as well. If you sign up for their loyalty program, they send you emails about promotions. They seem to have a tax-free (they pay the equilavent of the taxes) promo fairly frequently. I find Lebaron's prices pretty hard to beat.

I've been happy with my experiences at SAIL so far as well. If you sign up for their loyalty program, they send you emails about promotions. They seem to have a tax-free (they pay the equilavent of the taxes) promo fairly frequently. I find Lebaron's prices pretty hard to beat.

Me too!! :D

Edited by davey buoy

When the sail store opened here, the selection was very poor.It was improved alot over the last 2 years.

I have had great experiences here too.Returned for credit 2 broken Abu Vendettas no questions asked.

They lack a good catalogue, and i find they let thier fishing tackle inventory slide badly in the winter months. But all in all, its an ok place to shop.

I needed some terminal tackle that isn't available around here,

Looks like I forgot to mention that I STILL didn't get what I was looking for.

I use #5 SPRO ball bearing swivels and SAIL doesn't carry them and Gagnon was sold out.

Oh well, it was still a nice day for a drive :lol:

Looks like I forgot to mention that I STILL didn't get what I was looking for.

I use #5 SPRO ball bearing swivels and SAIL doesn't carry them and Gagnon was sold out.

Oh well, it was still a nice day for a drive :lol:

Lew,

If ya like, I'll call Steve @ JB tomorrow to confirm he has them in stock. He is 10 minutes fom my plant. Cliff & Sue are visiting here fore the weekend and I'm sure they could find room to haul them back to Sturgeon. If you got a SKU/product # and quantity that would be helpful.

Simon

Thanks for the offers Simon & Johnny, very generous of both of you.

I've got enough stuff for awhile and will be placing an order to the States in the next month or so and can get everything else I need then too.

We've got a good group around here :thumbsup_anim:

Not sure if the pricing for St. Croix rods is the same as it used to be, but at one time they were like Apple products in that their price was fixed by them and not by the store. That way every store would have to sell for the same price to give the smaller stores the same chance at a sale as the larger stores.

I pretty well stick with JB's, Le Barons And of course Ct. That daily Canadian tire money for gas goes a long way towards fishing gear!:good:

I've been there a couple of times both times ended up spending money lol. They're not as cheap as LeBarons but I got a good deal on a Shimano reel they have on sale.

It is my understanding that Sail is Lebaron's version of a big box store. Same company, just different chain name.

I have found the pricing on spoons, rapalas, spinners are nearly half the price of CT and smaller independent stores. Additionally, they have some great sales on other gear. I managed to pick up a Garmin Oregon 450 for about 80 bucks off or so, which was great because I was already planning on buying one! I love coincidences.

I'm happy with the one in Burlington, though, I can't wait until they get an account setup with Panther Martin so I can go crazy on spinners again!! :thumbsup_anim:

I've been to the Oshawa store a couple times, only bought some hooks and plastic baits. Nicely laid out store and lots of selection. I was there pricing out a new Compre rod at the time. They had the same price as Le Barons at $115. I ended up buying one at Gagnons for $105.

It is my understanding that Sail is Lebaron's version of a big box store. Same company, just different chain name.

That's incorrect. It's a long convoluted story but they're not the least bit related. Far from it in fact.

I'm always happy to have another shopping option, but i've found the folks at Sail to be, for the most part, not knowledgeable about their product or its uses. Stock also seems to be an ongoing issue (with my visits) -- I ask if they carry something, they say that i have to check their catalogue. I check their catalogue, product's not in the system. I ask what's in their system, and they can't get some of those items. Maybe it's just "big box store syndrome", but i certainly don't look to Sail as anything more than the local Walmart of outdoor rec gear. Gagnon's takes the cake for me.

Tightlines is good but it brings me closer to Toronto than I ever want to be again, infact even Oshawa is really pushing my limits anymore :lol:

I don't blame you one bit Lew! Living on the Scarborough/Pickering border, I ALWAYS go to Durham to find what ever it is that I want... anything to avoid Toronto!

HH