Downrigger Balls

anders

I need a couple new downrigger balls and am looking at the Shark and Ridgeback. Has anyone used them, or are running them. Either good or bad comments are appreciated.

Thanks

I have run the 16lb Torpedos, 15lb Sharks and 13lb Pancakes.

They all do a good job - just comes down to value in my mind.

I don't think the Sharks are worth the premium.

I am pleased with the Torpedos and if you can get them at a good price, would be my choice.

I have not tried the Rattlers.

RK

Edited by Rodney King

I have run the 16lb Torpedos, 15lb Sharks and 13lb Pancakes.

They all do a good job - just comes down to value in my mind.

I don't think the Sharks are worth the premium.

I am pleased with the Torpedos and if you can get them at a good price, would be my choice.

I have not tried the Rattlers.

RK

I would agree with RK. I run both Shark & Torpedo and can't say if Shark is worth the premium. Know and fished with a lot of others on LO and never seen a Ridgeback on a boat :dunno::dunno:

Slayer.

I need a couple new downrigger balls and am looking at the Shark and Ridgeback. Has anyone used them, or are running them. Either good or bad comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Well if it came down to a choice between those two I'd go for the sharks.

I have sharks so I'm likely biased, but they're the best rigger weights I've used thus far.

I'm still using the old style round 8LB. Little scared spending the money on the others case I lose one, maybe I'm cheap. :whistling: Plus I have the older Big Jon elect. and worry about burning out the motors using those heavy balls. I'm sure those new style track better.

when you use the sharks, is the line release just above the ball or at the fin of the ball?

There's no clip on the Shark itself, except for where it attaches to the rigger line...that's where I attach my release.

There's no clip on the Shark itself, except for where it attaches to the rigger line...that's where I attach my release.

And you have no problem with tangles or the shark not tracking properly?

when you use the sharks, is the line release just above the ball or at the fin of the ball?

You'll definitely want/need one of these release clips with the Sharks:

http://www.coldwatertackle.com/blacks-downrigger-release-clip

These will not interfere with the fin (vs. walker & scotty release clips)

Slayer