Guide tip question

taper

Ok guys I need some help, I have a trip next week to Lac Seul. Taking my wife and son and both sets of parents, we are going fully guided, shore lunches the whole bit. It is 4 full days of fishing in two boats with two guides. My question is what would be your starting point for each guides tip? I know it all depends on the service received but what would you consider fair. I have done day trips before but never 4 days with the same guide.

As a former guide myself... any tip is much appreciated, whether it be $100, or $10.

Everyone's financial situation is different so it varies from trip to trip.

But if you'd like a ballpark percentage... I'd say 10% is a decent place to start and based on the service go from there...

We have a thread like this at least 1 or 2 times a year . You will be with your guide for 4 days , by this time you will eather hate the dude or realy like him .. Let your heart deside .. Remember he/her is getting a small percentage of what you have payed for your 4 days ,I would give 10 /20 percent if he was good , nothing if he was bad .As someone who has guided for 30+years I never expected a tip , some times (and I should say most times ) being in a boat with great people you have just met and haveing a great time putting them on fish and seeing how much fun they are haveing , i.e. grand dad with grandkids , fathers with sons etc. is all the tip i ever need .But if you feel dude did a little extra feel free to tip , BUT DO NOT THINK it is expected ... Have a great trip and stop worrying the little things worry about how you gonna catch that big guy ...

I have only one experience with tipping a guide in which I failed miserably. I was on my honeymoon trip to Shikag with Northern Wilderness outfitters and set the trip up for no guide. I was on my honeymoon after all and I did not want a third party in my boat, after all, you never know, a guy in my shoes just might get lucky. whistling.gif Well, I arrive at the lodge and as I'm deplaning, a Indian guide came up to me and says " Hi, my name is Hat and I will be your guide". I was taken aback a bit and I replied, "Sorry Hat, I set my trip up with no guide. Did nobody tell you?" Well ole Hat turned on a dime and left in a huff. I should have at this point tipped the man for he now has to wait for the next load of fishermen to guide. I find out later in the week by another guide that he spent the time getting drunk off by himself. This was 21 years ago and I still regret it. wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

My point is that you only have one chance sometimes, better make the best of it. To this day I feel bad that I wasn't better prepared for that moment in time. When you are on a special trip my policy is to over tip. Tip the pilot. Tip the fillet guys. Tip the people in the lodge. Tip the people running the lodge. Don't come back home with regrets. A few bucks here and there don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Have a great trip and I think it is customary to tip guides somewhere between 60-100 per day.