I want to hear about your sunglasses

GreenCanada

ive had the cheap rapala ones ( great if your prone to destroying them) but since I have insurance coverage through work. Ive been enjoying Various Maui Jims over the past couple years.. they are fantastic. I got my first Oakleys this year also.. Also really nice

Went to Walmart a few weeks ago after I lost my other 2 pairs of fishing glasses (BPS brand and "Unknown" brand).

Ended up walking out with the Spiderwire brand ones. Camo arms. I think they're decent. $17 and change.

If I did ever end up spending some real money, it would be Maui Jims. But I don't ever see that happening. I loose things to much.

I bought a pair of Cocoons from Bass Pro Shops .... but they're over the glasses sunglasses. They really fit well over a pair of eyeglasses and they're polarized too. Pretty good for $50.

I too wear eyeglasses and wonder that the best over the glasses type are or is it truly better to splurge on a scripted pair?

I too wear eyeglasses and wonder that the best over the glasses type are or is it truly better to splurge on a scripted pair?

That I'm not sure ..... Like some of the other guys on here I can't justify spending big money on sunglasses. A scripted pair probably be (or at least should be) better but I thought I'd give these a try. They have different sizes and colours too .... check the website. They're big enough to fit over my glasses but not too big to look dorky! They also seem to block out most of the sunlight from the sides ... and they're pretty comfortable too.

What model of Maui Jim's do you guys wear? I see only two styles "dedicated" to fishing, but obviously others would work as well.

I'm looking for your input!

I wear Maui Akamai

Been wearing these about 2 yrs for just about everything. Light, look great and more importantly, fits my big noggin.

I am lucky as my wife works in the biz so all my glasses from fishing to riding are 50% off at least.

Edited by registerfly

Good point.

I can't get by with just sunglasses any more; I have to have my reading glasses with me too. I'd love to find a way to add little bifocal stick-on lenses to a pair of good sunglasses.

Costco had a two pack of exactly that. Regular sunglasses with a small reader patch. I think they we're branded coppertone or something like that. They were $19.99 i think for two pairs. I keep them in the boat for tying or reading charts, then pop the Maui Jim's back on after.

Costco had a two pack of exactly that. Regular sunglasses with a small reader patch. I think they we're branded coppertone or something like that. They were $19.99 i think for two pairs. I keep them in the boat for tying or reading charts, then pop the Maui Jim's back on after.

If you can wear contacts they have bifocal ones that seem to work where your eye starts to focus on the section of the contact for close up reading.

What model of Maui Jim's do you guys wear? I see only two styles "dedicated" to fishing, but obviously others would work as well.

I'm looking for your input!

I like the Ka'anapali model.

The only real difference in the marine/fishing version is that it uses stainless steel. Not a big benefit on freshwater.

Edited by whiskywizard

So I just realized that when I said there were only 2 styles dedicated to fishing, I must have selected Team Ohana first. There are actually a lot of different ones.

I'm leaning towards the Stingray or Island Time models. Now I'm going to find a place that carries both styles and try them on.

Serengetti by Bushnell are about the best I've had in my 67 years. Hardened amber glass lens with titanium frames, coated and polorized. The pair I have are photochromic to boot (they get darker with increased light) $150 at Costco. They take abuse. I sat on em and they still fit and I'm a lard ass

Costco have been selling the same model for several years now. This is my second pair (lost or stolen not broken) Costco's warranty is about the best there is. It's pretty well unconditional

The Amber tint seems to give me the best contrast.

Serengeti Firenze without a doubt. Like them better than my Maui's or Oakly's. Like the Transition lenses that darken as the sun rises... Pricey but the best I have had on my face.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my last update to this thread!

I am getting a pair of Maui Jim's.

Gloss Black Stingray Frames with HCL Bronze Lens. Best polarized lens on the market!

http://www.mauijim.com/stingray.html

Thanks for all the input everyone, this is why I enjoy the forum!

Edited by GreenCanada

Had a pair of Bolles for years. Loved them. Lost them off the back of the boat last year. been through numerous pairs of cheapies since. Never lost them. They either broke or the lenses just kinda wore out. My wonderful wife just bought me a pair of Oakley's. I think I'm gonna like these better than the bolles. :thumbsup_anim:

I had a pair of Cocoons that I could slip over my glasses - unfortunately, they slipped off the zodiac when I was on a local catfish stream. They were pretty good.

I've bought a new pair of polarized sunglasses and I have another pair of sunglasses (brown tint for cloudy days) that I can slip over my glasses.

It's all ok so far.

WR