Long Lake and Aguasabon River

simon_

Hi everybody,

I'm new in this forum and next week, I will be in Terrace Bay at Aguasabon falls campground.

I would like to know if somebody know something about Aguasabon River and Long Lake. I think that Long Lake contains walleyes and pikes, but I don't know if there's something in the aguasabon river (the end of Long Lake).

Maybe there is Steelhead in the river, but I don't know

Somebody can help me ?

Thanks a lot

simon_

Hi everybody,

I'm new in this forum and next week, I will be in Terrace Bay at Aguasabon falls campground.

I would like to know if somebody know something about Aguasabon River and Long Lake. I think that Long Lake contains walleyes and pikes, but I don't know if there's something in the aguasabon river (the end of Long Lake).

Maybe there is Steelhead in the river, but I don't know

Somebody can help me ?

Thanks a lot

simon_

Read this about the history of the Auguasabon River:

http://66.244.236.251/article_12068.php

There is less than 2 kms of river to fish below the Auguasabon Falls(impassable to migratory rainbows), and may not be fishable, or even allowed to be fished. Never heard of anyone fishing for steelhead there. Walleye is closed at the time you will be there.

And, Long Lake is way north of Terrace Bay. Pike may also be closed, but I don't fish for them specifically, so don't know the regs.

There are numerous rivers close by that you can fish for steelhead though, best bets will be the Gravel River to the west, but you need local knowledge to find the fishable water, bush roads and all. Also the Steel River to the east, about 20 kms, park on the northwest side of the highway, and fish either downstream or upstream, quite a few deep holes that can hold fish. Best to use float tactics on this river.

We have low water levels this year, so if the ice is still on Santoy Lake, you should be OK. If it breaks up, the Steel River will be unfishable.

There are lots of smaller rivers around to the east and west, but you really need local knowledge to find the fishable spots on them unfortunately, or time. The Cypress is not to far west of the Gravel, and you can fish it from the highway, but as I said, extremely low water levels will limit some fishing opportunites this year. And there will probably be lots of guys on them, I may be one of them, :lol:

Most of the smaller rivers, you park at the highway, and go downstream. McKellar and Deadhorse rivers to the east are like that. Be prepared to bushwhack. Not float fishing rivers. The Prairie you can fish right below the highway, then you have to drive west about 2kms, take a road down to the tracks, and walk east down the tracks to the river where it enters lake superior under a blasted tunnel under the train tracks.

There is also the Jackpine 5 min. west of the Cypress, it may have some fishable water still, but it was near dry last fall, barely a trickle in places. There are a couple of deep holes downstream, but they may not be so deep now, and as I said earlier, expect competition for spots because of the low water runoff.

I could go on and on, have been fishing them for 30 yrs., and still learning things about them.

How long of a stay in Terrace Bay for you?

Long Lake has walleye & pike but the main focus is on lakers. Not heavily fished as it can be very dangerous water. Nowhere to hide when things get nasty. I wouldn't be eating too much of anything caught there - see the Guide to Eating Ontario Sportfish.

No info on the Augusabon.

>Bill

if you're going to be in Longlac, you should make a trip into the Steel River for a few days. Very few people venture down this river, and fewer fish it. Access is just off a logging road, maybe 30 minutes from Longlac. Once you get past the first lake or two (short portages), you'll have the river to yourself for at least 30-40 KM down to Santoy Lake. Walleye, Pike, even Specks in there...beautiful waterfalls, rapids and campsites...It's worth looking into!