Algonquin Park report

ehg

Started a topic a couple of weeks ago wondering what was good food to pack for Algonquin considering no bottles or cans were allowed. Anyways, was well fed on this trip of 6 nights on Petawawa R. with an old buddy and his 17 yr. old daughter.

We ended up having a fantastic trip despite the blasting sun and 32-35 degree heat.

I didn't do much from noon till 6pm as heat and sun are enemy of MS disability i have.

Caught a bunch of channel cats and some musky and bass daily. Wanted to catch walleye but none were found. Did find a skeleton measuring 30 inches of a walleye so big ones are in there.

Ate some bass which were as good as Kawartha walleye.

My buddy and his daughter aren't into fishing but still caught stuff.

Here are some pictures.

videoattempt052-1.jpg

videoattempt019.jpg

videoattempt024.jpg

videoattempt043.jpg

videoattempt022.jpg

videoattempt044.jpg

videoattempt020.jpg

Great times!

Cheers, ehg

Edited by ehg

Thanks for replies.

Couple of more pictures were sent to me.

Both these fish were kept for consumption.

As there backs were turned unloading boat a snapping turtle ripped the catfish off the chain and by the time it was noticed only the head was left.

155.jpg

159.jpg

Thought i would bump this since having to answer a few PM's asking for advice.

Never used large baits. Just used jig with worms in 30ft. of water caught channel cats and a musky that way.

Also caught musky, bass and channel cats on blue/silver clackin' raps, jointed shad raps and original Rapala.

Caught a couple musky and bass on Kopper Live Target frogs thrown shallow. Hooking percentage was low but cool to see musky jumping at them.

Took a look at Barron Canyon since was on the road on the way. If was able to climb top of Petawawa cliffs probably would look similar.

167.jpg

Its been about 20 yrs since I have done that trip. It looks really low. Can't believe you didn't catch any walleye the river is polluted with them, and cats too. Going to have to do it again now. Thanks. Cats out of the bag now about the ski's

Polluted with walleye there? Constantly targeted walleye but caught channel catfish and musky instead.

Next time i will try night fishing and try to not hit deadheads littered everywhere. Like mentioned did find a 30 inch walleye skeleton so big ones are there. Great place to go!

I truly miss our great fishing adventures , when my leg has healed you can be sure that we will be doing some serious Muskie hunting, oh and we definately have to find some good recipes for catfish, I'm all about that, fantastic post!!!!!!

Good stuff, Erik! GREAT to see you out on the water! Glad ya got into a few musky, as I know you like them, just too bad the walleyes didn't want to play nice! It happens...I'm sure you guys had a great time, regardless! Thanks for the report!

S.

• 1 year later...

Was able to get back to the Petawawa R. in Algonquin this past weekend.

Picture190_zps71fb2969.jpg

Last year went first week of July and it was hot and dry whole time but the muskies were biting.

Didn't intend to catch them then but did.That was last year....

.....This summer went two months later in season and with cooler, wet weather the muskies weren't to be found.

With the musky elsewhere all the smaller eating size fish were everywhere.

Did catch fish to eat , which was the main goal. Everyday fish were cooked up.

Picture182_zps44d55704.jpg

A bunch of these were around, nothing big.

Picture183_zps0f90ff5b.jpg

Lot of these as well.....

Picture179_zps8e8e0763.jpg

Picture180_zps79435920.jpg

Caught bunch of channel cats which really tug the line around.

Picture184_zps17130257.jpg

It was nice to get up there my buddy and his daughter worked hard as i am useless with this (SPMS) multiple sclerosis.

At least with a little help can still get out fishing even in an extreme wilderness situation.

Good times again there!