Hamilton Harbour fishing - worth it?

hotsky

I'm in Hamilton and been to the harbour (Pier 4) twice for a couple of hours each time with no luck. I was by myself using lures (I don't like using livebait as it gets boring just sitting and waiting). I usually catch something at Cootes tho... I was thinking of renting a canoe from a place by QEW bridge but after last time I'm almost ready to give up on the harbour.

I've seen carp in the water, I know there's some bass and pike, what else? Is the harbour known for anything specific? Would like to hear of any good spots and lures to use?

Thanks!

ps: if someone doesn't want to sear the info public feel free to PM me.

White perch and catfish for sure. Salmon, rainbow, brown, yellow perch, sunfish, rock bass, bowfin and crappie are good. Also walleye and lake trout. May take a couple of years to learn them all though. Like salmon, we may have to show up early in the morning or later in the evening.

Fishing is always worth it. You won't catch anything at home. HH is close and very shore accessible. You'd be surprised the giant fish that can appear from nowhere and annihilate your bait down there, even on the slowest of days.

The only area where fishing is not allowed is in the marinas. Other than that the city encourages fishing along the waterfront....

lol who says u cant fish in the marinas? theres accessable areas around the marinas u can fish.

He probably meant from the docks next to the boats. Then if it's a private property I guess it would be illegal. Lots of places to fish at the Bay and Pier 4 tho.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

You can't fish too close to the boats for obvious reasons....even if it was public property, casting a plug towards a hundred thousand dollar boat might get you tossed from the area. There are miles of waterfront to fish anyways and the city encourages it as well(unlike other cities around here)It would also help the cause if we all took home our garbage and maybe a few other bits that the slobs leave behind....

Lol I agree Sinclair. I don't smoke in my house or anything and I understand the law about not smoking in a car with kids but in a park is just stupid. It truely isn't hurting anyone especially at Hamilton Harbour.

Edited by Live2fish85

Lol I agree Sinclair. I don't smoke in my house or anything and I understand the law about not smoking in a car with kids but in a park is just stupid. It truely isn't hurting anyone especially at Hamilton Harbour.

I beg to differ... I have asthma and second hand smoke bothers me a lot. On several occasions, I've had to leave an area where I've been fishing because someone came along and sat down near me and started smoking.

i go there when i dont have time to drive elsewhere. its not spectacular but it is full of surprises. i fish from a boat so cant say much about the shorelines, but there is lots of it. the algae blooms can get pretty discouraging but work around them.

as to the smoking? well there it is. the entirity of bayfront no smoking seems a bit extreme, though i certainly agree in the playground and more public areas. im looking forward to at least some parts of Hamilton that aren't knee deep in butts. sometimes i swear this city is paved in cigarette butts, ya can't take 2 steps without seeing one.

I understand a 100% about not smoling on playgrounds.

I have asthma as well and to be honest the smell of a smoke a foot away isn't to hard on the asthma. Being in hamilton harbour is harder on it and worst when it is super humid.

I rarely throw my smokes on the ground when I am out. I usually make sure it is out and in the garbage.

It is a joke. If they want to keep it clean then make a law that the Hamilton scum aren't allowed down there to leave there garbage an crack pipe and needles.

I have a friend that fishes the harbor almost every day, he has told me some impressive stories about fish he has caught. In-fact, he's got me fishin the bay once in awhile. Being a retired Stelco worker, I try and keep my eyes looking to the west :whistling::D.

Years ago, I would have never thought of fishin the Harbor, but hay, it's close to home and better than watchin the tube.

Edited by Fish Farmer

If you want to talk about dirty, go to the Windermere basin or where it used to be. I've been there a couple of times recently and they are still doing construction work so it's just a channel of water there (saw some huge carp swimming around but they are probably spawning because they completely ignored my bait). The water is incredibly dirty there; I don't even know how many tampons I saw floating around! :mellow:

Edited by Gray_Wolf

If you want to talk about dirty, go to the Windermere basin or where it used to be. I've been there a couple of times recently and they are still doing construction work so it's just a channel of water there (saw some huge carp swimming around but they are probably spawning because they completely ignored my bait). The water is incredibly dirty there; I don't even remember how many tampons I saw floating around! :mellow:

Almost sounds like a good spot to farm Tilapia or Basa :D

The water is incredibly dirty there; I don't even remember how many tampons I saw floating around! :mellow:

That's because there are multiple sewer/waste/storm overflows in that area. After a good rain you can usually see 100s of floating tampons in the South-East part of the harbor.

fishing gets tougher down there each year. the area gets pounded with anglers and the fish are very accustomed to seeing all they have to throw. nite fishing can be good. as long as people practice catch and release it can continue to be a good fishery. u would really be amazed at the amount and quality of the fish down there. but its a place u really have to put ur time in. some days are good, some are very bad.

Don't tell me people keep fish from the harbour!?!?!?!?

of course they do! not uncommon to see asians (no predjudice intended) or older folks down there filling a bucket. the fish there are no more or less harmful then from any other body of water around here. but to keep a sustainable fisherty, prime spawning fish have to be released.