alabama rig

earl

Just wondering if anyone has used an Alabama rig and to any luck.

i would like to try one for crappie but the local tackle shop closed and Canadian tire don't carry it.

Second cast with mine and I got into a lengthy battle which left me with a sore arm and snapped my 65lb braid. Those things sink a little faster than I thought. whistling.gif Gonna estimate it was at least a 10...no 20 foot log that I was lifting off bottom.

haven't thrown one yet myself...curious what baits people are rigging up on the A-rigs?

has anybody tried running 4 spinnerbaits or spinners or spoons? from what I've heard most are running plastics on the rig

definitely going to give it a hard fish next time i'm out

I haven't fished it for bass yet, but I have for Pike.

For pike we used swimbaits, inline spinners, and 4" grubs on football heads.

In our experience with these rigs we outfished buddies boats fishng the same water each time.

I like them, but it will take a while to get used to chucking them all day.

haven't thrown one yet myself...curious what baits people are rigging up on the A-rigs?

has anybody tried running 4 spinnerbaits or spinners or spoons? from what I've heard most are running plastics on the rig

definitely going to give it a hard fish next time i'm out

swim baits...im pretty sure thats the whole point to mimmick schooling bait fish.

Also, i think its illegal to hook up spinnerbaits/spoons/mepps anything with a treble on it.

dont quote me on that though

I dont see them being a big factor on southern Ont. water,Im sure they will catch fish in the right situation but at those times there are other things you could fish that would likely be just as effective and alot nicer to fish. I have yet to try one, I was offered 1 free and I said no thanks but they insisted I try it so I guess my arms will be getting a workout soon lol.

swim baits...im pretty sure thats the whole point to mimmick schooling bait fish.

Also, i think its illegal to hook up spinnerbaits/spoons/mepps anything with a treble on it.

dont quote me on that though

legal is 4 hooks max...a treble is considered 1 hook...spinnerbaits, spoons, spinners, cranks with 1 treble would be legal

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STDPROD_097331.html

when I finally try mine out i'll be chucking swim baits and spinnerbaits/spinners....I think it might have potential for offshore structure, deep water and schooling fish

I'll catch some on it :P I tossed one around on Scugog in what looked like 4-7ft of water, there were weeds around and the rig didn't get buried in them. Get a lighter rig, use 3/16oz jig heads and some small swimbaits. It's not heavy but large in size so requires a side arm "toss" and not so much a cast...use the right rod, flippin stick or bigger or don't bother hurting your equipment. Buy a rod that is rated for 1-1/4oz-2-1/2oz baits.

I threw Arig on and of for 2 days pike fishing and landed 1 pike. Me and a buddy landed 100 on jerk baits so the arig is down for now.

Was very surprise how easy they wined I've thrown lot's of spinner baits the pull harder.

Get into the fall they might show up.

Fishing is for fun. What fun is having more crap on the end of your line. Why don't we just tied on a anchor and wined it in. Like dragging in fish with lead-core and a dipsy. Mite as well winch your boat on the trailer, just as much fun. :whistling: Like the Cronz said, throw away those Telephone Poles.

Seems like people want to push the rules. We should just tie a net on our rods with a single hook in the bag, only 1 hook. :dunno::wallbash: Whats next.

I guess I'm getting old and cranky, don't pay any attention to me. :blush:

Edited by Fish Farmer

It is not about multiple fish for me. It is all about a different presentation.

Just a theroy, but the pike we fished were big water fish (Lake O). Used to chasing schools of bait. I assume this is why these rigs out fished other presentations in this certain scenerio.

As most predators change over to baitfish in the fall I think this presentation will shine as others mentioned

Edited by Harrison

• 6 months later...

For Bass: A good amount of the time that I use the A rig it is on calm evenings as the sunsets and I float along quietly waiting for the baitfish to be chased to the surface. I then overcast the area and drag off to the side of the baitfish with excellent results. I will also after covering the sides send it deep below the school and pick up a few more.

Art