1988 Chevy C1500 Problems

I've been having trouble with 1988 chevy c1500 305 V8 2wd When I start the truck for the first time and go to drive, it wants to stall and sputters but as soon as the truck is up to temperature it runs great.. This week I was plugging in my block heater and the truck ran great when I drove, so I figured it was the Engine Coolant Temp censor so I changed it and the truck is still having the same sputtering problem heres a list of things I have done recently to try and correct the problem:

Engine Coolant Temp Censor

EGR Valve

EGR Solenoid

rebuilt throttle body

check for vacuum leaks

ECM cause that went

Fuel Pump cause it went

have a new o2 censor to install still

This problem has plagued me for over two years and its just recently got worse. Thanks for your input.

IF it's a mechanical fuel pump remove it and check the cam shaft lobe for wear (stick yer finger in the hole ha ha!). I had to convert my 1986 to an electric fuel pump for that very reason - the lobe for the fuel pump only wore out prematurely. Once the job was done it ran like a top. One thing - make sure the electric is mounted near the fuel tank. The first time I had it done the (deleted! deleted! deleted! etc.). mounted it on an angle on the inside of the fender - nothing but cavitation!

Michael

I had a similar issue with my gmc.It turned out to be the (can't remember the name)unit on the throttle body where the wires run into.it is a round unit near the base that controls the mixture.I replaced it and all was fine again.

vance

I had a similar issue with my gmc.It turned out to be the (can't remember the name)unit on the throttle body where the wires run into.it is a round unit near the base that controls the mixture.I replaced it and all was fine again.

vance

MAP sensor, maybe?

That round thing with the wires would be the Idle air control (IAC) valve. If it has one of those, I think we have a typo here. Did you mean 1998..not 88?

1988 thru to 95 or 96 had a simple throttle body system that for the most part worked quite well.

vance

didnt read all the answers but my 93 chev did something like that and i figured it was the temp sensor but didnt seem to change much when i unplugged it ect. so i replaced the thermostat first and thats what it was. try that first,seems odd but its a cheap and easy 5 min fix

Check for vacuum leaks before you spend any more money. When its cold spray intake cleaner at all rubber fittings and around the throttle body and intake manifold. If it starts to idle faster when spraying an area, BINGO there is a leak. Its pretty old so I think you'll find quite a few. Get it squared away and keep her going.

Check for vacuum leaks before you spend any more money. When its cold spray intake cleaner at all rubber fittings and around the throttle body and intake manifold. If it starts to idle faster when spraying an area, BINGO there is a leak. Its pretty old so I think you'll find quite a few. Get it squared away and keep her going.

or wd40