Protecting your Rods

Luke V.

What do you use to protect your rods? ie. Rod gloves etc. My boat does not have a designated rod storage compartent and I am wondering what the best options are. What do you like? what have you tried and dont like?

I have rod holders on the sides of the boat, but i find on long trips the vibrations can wear the rod blanks. I use small bungies to hold the rods from flying around the boat but this may be leading to the wear.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Luke

In the bass boat we used to have golf club tubes and racks. it was a pita to get the rod tips into the holes. we took them out this year and are now using those nylon woven rod gloves. We bought them at bass pro, but the spinning rod ones suck as they barely go over the last eye. I also put my rods in two bags, one for spinning rods and one for baitcasters. Then just drop the bags into the lockers. I find this setup is much easier to deal with on the water than the tubes.

I just lay my rods down in the boat. Probably should take better care but can't imagine fiddling with rod gloves all the time. I rarely have equipment comprised doing this, have only had a few rare guides crack and I'm on the water a lot. Would be curious to know what people do with their rods. My boat is 16ft SC and my rods lie on the passenger side floor angling up onto the casting deck. I let them bounce around when running in the boat, can't think of any other convenient options.

I protect my rods when on the road, with a Shimano rod case/carrier, I bought at Fishing World a few years ago. It can cover hold about 8rods, with the top 1.5ft covered in hard plastic, and wraps about the middle and bottom. It keeps them more stable, and less likely to break a tip. Also, it's more convient to help me carry 4+rods around on multi species trips. I only have a 14.5ft tiller, and don't both with anything. I do lay them on from one seat to the next, so they are level and not bouncing off the beam or front seat. I might consider a rod wrap....haven't really thought about it and do see them as a pain pulling on and off.

I did break one of my better st.croix one trip, jigging for walleye, I let it sit against the beam, go to set a hook and the rod snaps...st.croix replaced it at no cost other than shipping. It likely damaged the blank bouncing around on the trip somewhere. Friend has broken 2 rods of decent valve on trips in simular fashion. He uses 2 rod wraps now, but never puts them back on once fishing starts...only used for on the road?

I use these Rod Gloves with Lure Gloves as well as the reel gloves. Ive never had damage and can carry tons of rods without any problems

decemberpics002.jpg

That pic is the most beautiful thing I've I've seen all day!

Edited by backbay

I protect my rods with bass pro rod covers, and 2 elestic velcro straps from the dollar store. The bass pro covers are one size fits all and I can actually put 4-5 rods in there with no issues once they are firms secured top and bottom with the straps to hold them together. This is only for transport to lake so they dont roll around in the truck or car. I have also taken to reel covers for my new reels since I think a few bucks to keep your reel as scratch free as possible is worth it, especially as you get into more higher end equipment.

In the boat, I have 4 vertical rod holder tubes and one horizontal rack similar to the own shown earlier. They are OK. My boat is an 18' tiller model does not have built in rod storage, except for the racks on the side, so this is a bit tricky since I normally bring 6 rods or more on any outing these days. I can normally lay them gently together along the right side of the boat out of the way. Its not ideal but it works for me and my fiance when were out.

I have found in the past if I do any damage to my equipmemt, its usually because its been knocked around in transport.

Cheers,

Millhouse

I use these Rod Gloves with Lure Gloves as well as the reel gloves. Ive never had damage and can carry tons of rods without any problems

decemberpics002.jpg

I'm Verklempt......and have a tear in my eye..............I think i will use this pic as my desktop image.worthy.gif

And I thought I had too many rods with only six. God , I can tell my wife that I've got a long way to go.:clapping: I have rod cases for all of them except the 7' one piece and that has a rod sock and Shimano reel cover.

Bill

Edited by oldbassguy

Where did you buy them?,Do they have a adhesive backing?. That would be the cat's:asshat:in my boat.Off the seats and off the floor.

I didn't buy them. They came from the dealer on the boat. If you google search rifle rack rod holders you will find what you need

Edited by Luke V.

i love my rod gloves...keeps everything nice and organized and protected...another handy product is the bait glove, when everythings rigged up you wrap your baits and you dont have to worry about hooks and what not getting tangled

decemberpics002.jpg

So when is the yard sale? :whistling:

oh, honey....come look at this will ya and tell me what you see... :rolleyes:

I have been compiling a list of stuff and in the next couple of days there is going to be a ton of stuff unloaded on here. Takes a while to compile such a list, thats for sure. I have narrowed my rod list down to just 20 combos. May seem like alot but from what i had its nothing. Trust me. I come from a group called Tackleholics anonymous, :w00t::w00t: Im haveing a few days off so Im able to do it now.

Hey Marvin, I don't see the V-Rod in that picture that I sold you years ago....it musta went in another tackle purge eh ?? :lol:

That's a pretty impressive collection of fishing poles there my friend :thumbsup_anim:

Hey Lew, how have you been. Beleive it or not. My Dad was here that summer and took a whole pile of V Rods back home that he still fishes with. That rod from you has been in the ocean and freshwater and still has tons of fish catching life into it. I had the entire collection still that he uses. I probally have more gear there then here

Those V-Rods were excellent Marvin and it's good to hear your Dad is still getting lotsa use out of them.

I had 5 of them matched up with Curado's & Castaic's but once I gave up bass fishing they were just gonna get dusty around my place and that's never a fitting end to quality gear.