Canon EOS 450D / Digital Rebel XSi

solopaddler

Its an older camera, I think it came out around 2008, but it took and likely still takes great pictures. If you are getting a good deal on it go for it. For lenses you have lots of options since you should be able to use the EF and EF-S lenses. What lense does it come with? I have the 18-55mm EF-S with IS lense as well as the 55-250mm ef-s IS lense.

For portraits you can get the 50mm portrait lense and it will do you just fine.

For macros you can look at the 100mm f2.8 ef USM lense or the ef-s60mm f2.8 lense. either of these will get you through most shots, however, the kit 18-55 takes nice macros as well.

Here is a macro with the 18x55is lense

7196804108_308dd06a57_b.jpg

snail by vinceyon, on Flickr

I don't own a Canon but I have used them before, and I absolutely love the 50mm f1.8 (often referred to the nifty fifty) Both guys I often fish with (MJL and Frozen-fire) shoot with a canon.

Here's one of my favourite shot using the 50mm f1.8 (photo credit to Frozen-fire). The quality kind of sucks because I had to download it off facebook.

300636_936483558507_6603536_n.jpg

Not really a Macro lens but it's great for portrait. At $100ish (when on sale), you can't go wrong. It's just a matter of time when I sell off my Olympus.

I have 2 of them, 12 MP, no video. I wasn't interested in the video thats why I bought the first one for my Wife, picked up a 2nd body for myself. If its a good deal you won't be disappointed. I think the kits were going for around $650 with the 18-55mm IS lens in 2009. I picked up a used body in 2010 for $250

It's an OK body for general purpose shots, but if you get bit by the photography bug you will definitely wish you invested in a higher end model. It's like all gear, really. That is a great combo for most uses and will take fantastic fishing photos. If you want a macro lense, the choice is fairly simple. Poke around on Cannon's site under their Macro lenses and you an get an idea for the price range. The Cannon 100M 2.8L Macro L series is commonly known as Cannon's top macro lense, and it will be the next piece of glass that I hoarde into my collection, but if you are searching for a more financially viable option, there are several Macro lenses that are extremely highly rated as well.

With Harry's and Vistek on with good Cannon deals, it's hard to pass up, but I recommend looking into the 7D at least, if you are taking your first leap into dslr photog.

The body alone for a 7D is $1300.. That's not beginner DSLR photography. We haven't even mentioned glass yet which you'll spend more on then the body..

The T2i/T3i are great cameras for the beginner, even the 40D/50D/60D are great choices for someone who wants more advanced features.

The xsi is a OK camera, it is good for beginners, the only issue IMO is the low light capabilities I would be hard pressed to shoot over 800 ISO on one of those cameras. The Canon 50 1.4 is a good lens to start with, that and the 17-40 which could be had for 600 used right now would be a killer combo. The macro lenses have already been mentioned and they are good choices. I personally use Canon myself a 7D and 5d Mark 2 but I started with the Canon XS which was a OK camera and got me by.Just remember if you like the DSLR don't get hellbent on bodies, glass is more important

Well I opened up a special savings accout yesterday to set aside some money for the camera that I really want.

The Rebel XSI was tempting because of the price, but that was about it.

I dropped my camera in the river recently (again LOL!) so just to get me by I found a smokin' deal on a brand new Canon SX260 HS. $180 all in. Not too shabby eh? :)

The Canon T3i looks good but I personally am leaning towards a Nikon D5100 which they claim is as good as its big brother the D7000 which is considerably more $$.

Already said somewhere in here and repeated to me by a friend thats in the know, the Canon 5D Mark 2 is reputed to be a very good value at the moment and a fine camera.

Just stop dropping 'em in the drink Mikewhistling.gif

Given your track record of killing cameras (like me), it’s hard to go wrong with a Canon 7D if you have the funds saved up. It’s a camera that can take abuse surprisingly well.

The 7D is a brilliant performing camera that can do most things very well (aside from shooting in very low light without a flash). It may also feel better in the hands for you compared to the Rebel line of cameras – The XSI, T1i, T2i, T3i, T4i, etc are smaller cameras that may not feel all that great to use if you have larger hands. I have the T3i as a backup/social gatherings camera and I find the 40D to be more comfortable to use (and I have fairly small hands). I may upgrade from my current Canon 40D in a couple years to a used Canon 7D if the price is right. When you do underwater photography, you kind of have to expect the worst.LOL