Helicopter Rig

cwpres

I was fishing last weekend for carp using a feeder. It was fine for short casts, but I found I was getting tangles when casting a fair distance. The helicopter rig is supposed to help prevent tangles, but never tried one before. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one, and where they got the tackle to tie one.

I'm gunna assume it was a method feeder...

And if your getting tangles... You probably doing something wrong... They are virtually tangle free set ups... That's one of the major advantages to that system...

As far as helicopter rigs... They are only as good as the meterials used...

I personally find a "bolt rig" with a coated hook link material and a proper cast with a nice arc to it almost never tangles... Using inline leads also helps to prevent tangles...

Hi Musky Mike!

Thanks for the suggestions.

The way I have it rigged, I think it's called a running feeder. I have an inline spring feeder, that is round with a spring around it...seems to be the only ones available in the fishing stores in here in Guelph.. it's not the flat method feeders that seem to be used in the UK. With this rig, I didn't stick the hook into the feed ball, which was why I was getting tangles. I wasn't sure if I should do this since the feeder is round there isn't any guarantee that the hook wouldn't end up underneath the feeder when it hits bottom.

As it turned out, I didn't get any takes, just nibbles. My son, on the other hand got a 20 lb'der with just a three way swivel rig (figures). The bolt rig sounds like the way to go... less trouble.

What types of bait to you use on your bolt rigs? So far I've just been using corn.

Chris

I'm gunna assume it was a method feeder...

And if your getting tangles... You probably doing something wrong... They are virtually tangle free set ups... That's one of the major advantages to that system...

As far as helicopter rigs... They are only as good as the meterials used...

I personally find a "bolt rig" with a coated hook link material and a proper cast with a nice arc to it almost never tangles... Using inline leads also helps to prevent tangles...

For getting bites... Corn is great...I also add some plastic corn for buoyancy and durability...

However... If you get to the point that your catching too many fish and want to start weeding out the smallest ones... Some 20mm boilies are great... This WILL up your average size of carp but your numbers will drop a bit...

It sounds like your using a long hooklink(leader). I usually us 4" and is almost tangle free. Like Mike mentioned, coated material will also help. For a good hook bait I always use Cukk corn available at newworldcarp.com, the stuff is awesome and gobeys hate it.