Went the change the oil in my new outboard last night

RangerGuy

So I went to change the oil last night, just cause I felt like it.

I have about 6 hours on the motor a 75 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke. I noticed

last night my oil smells like gas.

I'm pretty concerned about this. Is this normal for a new engine,

the backyard mechanic in my says no freak'n way.. rings are leaking.

Is this normal while a motor is breaking in?

a friend of mine who is a Yamaha Tech says it is not normal

It is something that happens to a 4 stroke motor running too cold, over propped, or trolling(low RPM operation) too much.

Or a bad fuel pump could cause it too

Should you be changing the oil at only 6hrs???? Stick to the manufacturers recommendations, if they say 20 hrs, that's when you change it. The reason being that the oil that is in there has all the assembly lube in it that helps to make sure everything seats properly. Don't worry about it now, if it smells strongly of gas later on, check the oil level, if it's 'making oil' in other words, gas is thinning the oil and increasing the amount in the crankcase then yes, you have problems. This early on, don't worry too much. Keep an eye on it.

WOW!... I didn't see anything mentioned in the motor manual.. regarding that.

Actually, the dealer must add it because it says specifically in the manual that

the mntor is shipped without oil.

Guess I will wait until the full 20 hours are on the motor before changing the oil.

Edited by RangerGuy

I was the same way when i picked up my ride last spring. After i got it slimed, havent given it anymore thought.

Changed the lower unit oil in the spring, looks good. Changed the motor oil and filter last weekend, looks good.

got fresh slime on her this year, so life is good!!!:clapping:

I was the same way when i picked up my ride last spring. After i got it slimed, havent given it anymore thought.

Changed the lower unit oil in the spring, looks good. Changed the motor oil and filter last weekend, looks good.

got fresh slime on her this year, so life is good!!!:clapping:

FYI

You should be changing your lower unit oil in the fall.

If the seal is bad and water has entered the gear case it can crack the gear case when it freezes during the winter. If you are going to use your boat during the winter at least pull the lower drain plug long enough (only need a tiny amount to tell) to make sure the oil isn't cloudy (just top off the oil if you accidentally drain too much).

FYI

If the seal is bad and water has entered the gear case it can crack the gear case when it freezes during the winter. If you are going to use your boat during the winter at least pull the lower drain plug long enough (only need a tiny amount to tell) to make sure the oil isn't cloudy (just top off the oil if you accidentally drain too much).

:thumbsup_anim:

Same goes for the motor oil if it's a 4 stroke. Do it in the fall, no point in having the internals sitting in old oil full of contaminants.

FYI

my mistake:oops: , thats what i did.Last fall before storing the boat.Did the motor oil last week.

That's called "Making oil", it is gas mixing in oil.

Not unheard of in 4 stroke outboards,

Make sure you do a proper break in procedure as recommended in the manual.

In extreme cases a replacement of thermostat might be required but don't panic for now. Hopefully the problem will go away after the break in and rings will seat properly.(most do)

Never over fill the oil, a hair less is better. Keep an eye on oil level.

It may have been shipped without oil but when the engine was assembled, all the moving surfaces would have been covered with assembly lube. What kind if sound do you think an engine would make until the oil finally makes it everywhere its supposed to go? Let the dealer know, and make sure you document it, just in case there is a real problem later.

Sounds to me like a condition known as "making oil" where gas seeps by the rings. Unfortuantely pretty common on 4 strokes. Change the oil and keep and eye on the oil level. The problem is usually exasperated when running long hours at low rpm and cool water. chances are she'll do better over time. Had this on my 1st verado, it seemed to go away in yr 2.