Something that comes to mind..

EC1

Morning!

Is anyone here in the Fedex / UPS / DHL businesss here?

It just came to my mind as to why brokerage fees are so damn expensive... If you go downtown Toronto and look at any of these delivery trucks, there is almost always at least one, if not two parking tickets on the windshield already. Is there no way to ever solve this since our meter maids need money for the city of Toronto, so then it bills out to the delivery companies, which ultimately puts the bill on us?

Comments and Thoughts? :)

I honestly think that a lot of those guys save'em and put them on their windshield to prevent further tickets....I say that because there is a guy who lives in my building and has a delivery van....never takes the tickets off the window. :dunno:

I was reading a court case on CANLII last night - UPS is being taken to task in a class action over it's brokerage fees and insistence on charging them. They're launching appeal after appeal to delay the actual action. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out if it ever gets heard!

Michael

I try to stay far away from anything or anyone who insists on shipping UPS! whistling.gif

If shipping from the states, the only way to get out of it is getting the "UPS World Saver" method of shipping. Where I'm paying for it - it has always been $15 shipping and 13% HST when the product arrives at your door. The best part about it is that it arrives the next business day if you order early enough during the day!

Yup - I avoid UPS at all costs. I always ask the American shippers to use USPS. USPS hands off to Canada Post at the border and it gets treated like regular mail after that. There's no tracking, but it's sooo cheap compared to UPS.

I'd love to see UPS forced to pare back brokerage fees to something reasonable, so us poor Canucks aren't subsidizing their worldwide operations.

Yup - I avoid UPS at all costs. I always ask the American shippers to use USPS. USPS hands off to Canada Post at the border and it gets treated like regular mail after that. There's no tracking, but it's sooo cheap compared to UPS.

I'd love to see UPS forced to pare back brokerage fees to something reasonable, so us poor Canucks aren't subsidizing their worldwide operations.

USPS all the time. I order a ton from the states and if it isn't USPS i don't buy. Made the mistake of not looking one day and the brokerage fee was almost 3 times the cost of the item! Hope they have to pay all of us back, lol. Good luck. As for the tickets, keeping the old one on the windshield is classic!

I’ve been screwed by UPS in the past with outrageous brokerage charges (They also lost a few of my packages and still sent me a letter asking me to pay for customs fees.LOL). Ironically, the service I received from USPS has been on average faster and more reliable (go figure :dunno:) – And it’s cheaper. If I do need something that is only shipped UPS, I have it shipped to a warehouse in Buffalo and my parents pick it up when they’re down there shopping.

does everyone know about kuhns storage in niagara falls? have your gear shipped there and they will receive and hold for you for reasonable cost..

number and info on the net...

i buy alot of audio gear and in the states all the online companies ship for free. to the US

so example emoticva ships a 900$ amp anywhere in the states for .... 900$

i buy the same item shipped to canada works out to just over 1200$...

when i asked whats up emotiva blames customs fees..all i asked was waive the frieght like you do for americans, ill pay every fee involved with the border crossing. no go of course.

I honestly think that a lot of those guys save'em and put them on their windshield to prevent further tickets....I say that because there is a guy who lives in my building and has a delivery van....never takes the tickets off the window. :dunno:

That's the way to do it

Brokerage Fees just stink. Plain and simple.

Why to things cost more in Canada - in order to get items here to offer for sale you have to pay...

Brokerage fees (plus additional fees per shipment), Duties, Taxes and expensive frieght costs.

I work for a delivery company one that delivers soft drinks, its the cost of doing business downtown. Its no wonder a coke costs two bucks eh? Sometimes five or six tickets in one day can't be expected to park five or six blocks from a call. Just another way for everyone else to pay for the city of torontos overspending imo.

does everyone know about kuhns storage in niagara falls? have your gear shipped there and they will receive and hold for you for reasonable cost..

number and info on the net...

i buy alot of audio gear and in the states all the online companies ship for free. to the US

so example emoticva ships a 900$ amp anywhere in the states for .... 900$

i buy the same item shipped to canada works out to just over 1200$...

when i asked whats up emotiva blames customs fees..all i asked was waive the frieght like you do for americans, ill pay every fee involved with the border crossing. no go of course.

www.usaddressinc.com 3909 Witmer Road Niagara Falls, NY 14305, United States

(716) 298-1822

They charge $5 per package per week for no mailbox rental, Mailbox rental with a US address cost $8 per month($104/year). First week shipment they receive to store your package is free. I have a mailbox address to order stuff on ebay few times a year and then picked them up. Worth the savings. This companies have hundreds of CA customer, claim to receive 700 package per day on peak days. Go fish at the Niagara whirlpool and then pick up the package will be a likely solution.

Never order US item shipped through UPS. Their shipment rate might be inexpensive compared to USPS, but brokerage fees are a killer. Item valued over $15 automatically get charge $15-20 for brokerage fees + duties plus HST. CA post or USPS seldom charge for brokerage fees and no duties to pay. It is a hit and miss based on my experience. I do not get charge for any taxes many times buying stuff shipped to Canada.

However, US Companies like to use UPS due to convenience of UPS driver picking up the package at their location, rather then having to go to post office themselves. To canadian, it is a disadvantage, that is how UPS make their extra money , where unsuspecting CA customer, believing they are paying less for shipment cost through UPS, get charge brokerage and duties. UPS is doing very well in NOrth Ameirca due to their services, hurting CA post or USPS business in general. For Overnight 24 hour services. FEDEX IS KING! Fedex also have 3-5 day ground services, they are trying to compete against UPS.

Edited by bassfighter

Because every mom and pop convenience store, pizza joint and restaurant in the downtown core has a designated delivery zone??? I wish it was that easy. Sometimes you have to park on the road there's no easy way around it, believe me its my job five day s a week. Also I am special but not in the short bus way like yourself.