Long Lake Substitute...

Hey guys and gals

A couple years back my buddy and I went on a trip up to Long Lake. It's just northwest of Orillia off of Swift Rapids road. It was absolutely AMAZING. Basically noone on the water and the fishing was GREAT. We took my Hobie Pro Angler there and it was a perfect match for the water.

However...

It is about a kilometre trek in and it is definitely not an leisurely stroll, especially dragging about 300lbs of kayak and gear (some of which may or may not have been many a can of brown pop!!) up, down, through, and over the shall we say arduous terrain.

It was definitely worth the effort but looking back now, had we have known the mission it would be to get in, I'm pretty sure we would have looked elsewhere. Until I can get my hands, or more importantly my funds, around an ATV that Long Lake will be Long Lost...

My question to the people is this...

Does anyone know of a lake that is relatively easy to get into where you can just set up camp without having to worry that you're on someone's private property or campground or what have you?

We're dyin to get out again but really did ourselves in getting to Long Lake and would like to find somewhere of more or less the same attributes but with a slightly less physical entrance fee.

I've also acquired a 12' tinny with a 9.8 Merc that I'd love to get out somewhere with the same sort of scenario.

Anyway, I hope you guys are having a great season so far and for those of you that are attending the Fish-A-Thon that Dan and Ryan put on I shall see you there!!!

it's tough, typically the more effort required to get to the lake/ river, the better the fishing

plus, alot of people won't give up information on their "honeyholes"

anyway, how far do you want to drive and what species do you prefer?

Yeah I figured that after I posted. Probably not the smartest question to ask!! But someone once told me there's no such thing as a stupid question so why not right? Hahha

I love bass fishing but I'd really like to catch more than just bass. But to be honest I'm not picky. Fishin is fishin! I think 2.5 - 3hrs outta Hamilton would be about my max seeing as it would just be a weekend trip.

Thanks very much for replying btw

Was not expecting anything!!

it's not a secret honeyhole, but the Massasauga PP or Moon River area has all species of fish, great landscape, and you can pick a boat-in campsite with a fairly remote feel, a little further up the hi-way, the French River has similar crown land camping/ fishing/ landscape

been to long lake many times fun little spot to fish

but lots of people fish it, just look at all the boats chained to trees

there are 2 more lakes farther down the dirt road that people camp and fish at but easy acess

it's not a secret honeyhole, but the Massasauga PP or Moon River area has all species of fish, great landscape, and you can pick a boat-in campsite with a fairly remote feel, a little further up the hi-way, the French River has similar crown land camping/ fishing/ landscape

I'll second boat to camping at the Mass. Big fan of Port Rawson Bay. Sheltered from high winds but you might have to share the bay with Anchored boats.

Yep lots of people fish Matchedash Lake(Long Lake)

I go about twice a year for musky here's a decent one from Long Lake

untitldged.jpg

I go to long Lake every year and camp. The fishing is good, I fish mostly for bass. You have to keep your gear light on the carry in, I take the right fork in the trail to avoid the 4 x 4 and ATV water holes. My kevlar canoe and pack comes to less than 100 lbs, add a few more lbs for brown pop. If you want good fishing you need to go remote where the heavys dont go.

I think im gonna try the very top of swift rapids road

Looking at google maps it looks like I could probably toss my boat in right around that dam. Or just before it.

I think I'll make a scouting trip up the road first. It would suck to tow the boat all the way there to find out the roads are suitable!

I'll post once I go and let everyone know

Thanks for all your help everyone

Much obliged!!