Anybody ever see this???

Mike, it's a very common occurrence. In certain sections, the Larry is not crystal clear so some fish with failing eyesight (especially pike, carp and sturgeon) must stick their head out to get their bearings...see where they are going.

Ummm, it was a joke guys. :wallbash:

I have a strange hypothesis.

Musky and pike like to bask in warm water after they get a belly full of food to help them digest.

If a Pike or Musky sucked back a big ole Sucker (like some of the eye witness accounts of fish in the Pike/Musky's mouths) and then went to shallow warm water to digest, maybe it would be possible that the predators swim bladder would be controlled but the dead Sucker's swim bladder being still intact would expand with the air as it comes into shallow water? That would make for too much air for the predator fish to deal with at the front of the body thus bringing his head out of the water until he can swallow the fish back into his belly. Once swallowed back into the centre of the body he could get that tail moving and those pectoral fins steering properly until the food would be digested enough to get rid of that extra air or move back to some deeper water.

I have no idea, it was just a thought.

That's an interesting hypothesis. Although no one can know for sure, this theory makes lots of sense.

I've actually seen this twice! Once 12 years ago and again 4 years back. Both times on the same body of water, at night, and both times large thick female pike over 35 inches. The second time I saw it, it was a super calm, very bright night and I could see the thing coming from a mile away toward the dock, I thought it was a beaver until it almost ran into the dock. It must of had it's head out of the water for close to ten minutes.

The digesting theory sounds good but the fact this happened at night with Pike kind of discounts that because doubtful those pike are eating (although it was a very bright night the second night, cannot remember the first).

Very strange sight for sure.

Saw it twice in one day last Sunday - my feeling is that is post-release stress related, as there were tons of boats fishing for skis near where I saw them. The first one, a mid 30's fish, surfaced for only a few seconds... the second was a bigger one and probably did this for a good 30 seconds or so before diving back down with a big tail splash.

Pete

The digesting theory sounds good but the fact this happened at night with Pike kind of discounts that because doubtful those pike are eating (although it was a very bright night the second night, cannot remember the first).

I think pike can eat at night so it's still possible, but I must say that, folks, the answer in this case is hidden in plain sight. We are witnessing the evolutionary spirit of our top underwater predator.

I don't think they have swim bladder problems, I've seen that with lakers and rockbass through the ice and the behaviour looks totally different

in the youtube video, the gills are being dragged along the surface, maybe they can take in more oxygen by doing this? or, having their eyes or nostrils out of the water for awhile somehow helps them, an itchy air bubble in the nostril? a little parasite on the eye?

good job finding that video JoshS

• 1 year later...

last week I had a pike gorf my 6" stick bait and break me off, while walleye fishing

it came to the surface and swam with it's head above the water, it wasn't thrashing, just swimming

my cousin was able to snag it near the mouth, my bait was deep in it's gullet, 3 trebles hooked, we removed all 4 hooks, very little bleeding, and let it go

the pike obviously wanted whatever was in it's mouth out of there

this is evidence that this behaviour is because an esocid has eaten something too large or a spiny fish isn't sitting well in it's mouth

i have had quite a few aquariums over the years, and have seen many fish act some what the same as this, some more erratic than others.. but many just like this, after stress from a range different reasons.. so my vote (for as little as it's worth) - goes to the "fish under stress and on its way out" argument :)