Marine Fibreglass Repair Sources

thatleetboy

I've been trying to sort out how I would spend more time with my young son this summer, and was toying with the idea of renting a cottage here and there, but decided to spend some time camping (more my style) and keep an eye out for a good deal on a used canoe....

Well, my little guy (who's just 3) and I went out this evening and got a great deal on this new (to us) canoe…. just $150!

The previous owner ran the keel over some rocks, and repaired it with "fiberglass foam" and say it's watertight, but I will rip out their repair and fiberglass it properly at some point in the next couple of weeks. The boy and I are very excited.

I can't tell you how many times in my life I have gone out and bought a couple of paddles, because of a new canoe, and here I am, at it again!

Oh, so, btw, any advice on where to buy the marine fiberglass stuff, do the repair right? I'll probably try and do a little reading on the internet, of course.

Cheers

5I85Gb5F53E33Le3Hfc6e95efba0339a71c63.jpg

5Ia5Ga5Fe3Gf3Ia3N3c6ea8763e7f49c11b57.jpg

5N85Y35M53K33Lb3ldc6e315b469f4b1e1905.jpg

5Ne5Q25Je3Kd3Le3N3c6e7dbd0dff3d361325.jpg

Long ago, I had a Watson that also suffered some damage. Took it back to the manufacturer and they fixed it inexpensively so that it looked brand new. Not sure if they are still in business, (can't even remember where they're located) but having the original mold for the canoe makes for a better job.

You can get what you need at CANADIAN TIRE in the marine department. just put on a light patch of fiberglass. And then paint to match or repaint the hole thiing just use marine paint light coats two or three coats should do it for you. AND THEN YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. GOOD LUCK SIR.

I was in my Crappy Tire last night, and despite the fact that I thought I had bought similar stuff there in years past, was unable to find anything. That's actually part of why I thought I would ask....

I was going to try again at the big one at Leslie/Lakeshore, and I guess the referral to West Marine gives me a couple of great options. Thanks guys.

Mrpike> will marine paint actually stick to the fiberglass the, and jazz up the appearance of the exterior? Just use a regular brush? Does it add much weight? Thx.

The glass and resin in CTC may be questionable. To paint, buy high quality marine paint at West, Noah, or Composite Canada. Two person paint method - using a mini low fuzz roller, one person roll the paint on, as the second person uses a high quality 3" brush, just touch the paint ever so gently to knock the bubbles off. DO NOT REWORK THE PAINT WITH THE BRUSH! The brush should have next to NO paint on the tips of the bristles! Done properly it will produce a really nice finish.

Too bad about Watson. Why not just patch all over the place - even where it doesn't need it. Will make the canoe look mean - kinda what they did to the team bus in the movie "Slap Shot". <_<

another idea - once you've got the fiberglass patching done, maybe one of those vinyl 'wraps' might work over the canoe? Certainly would be unique.

Edited by blue pickeral