sleep apnea

rmarentette

I have severe sleep apnea and realized how dangerous this condition can be during the power outage during the blackout of 2003. Not an experience I care to repeat. I've always wanted to go on a fly-in but this has held me back. Suffering through one night is one thing but the long term risk of medical complications is another. My brother-in law has been trying to talk me into giving it a shot, however until you experience the problem you don't don't realize the danger. Has anyone on this board found a a good fly-in camp that is able to accommodate someone with sleep apnea or has anyone found a good alternative solution? Thanks!

If I was you and seriously considering it and the weight on the plane allowed for it, I would bring my own brand new generator with me. Of the outfitters that do have a generator(s) at camp, I bet they are old and unserviced. I would not be relying on them to keep you breathing at night.

CPAP's don't use that much power I would say a good deep cycle and a 12v inverter would run 1 for a long time it would be better than relying on the out fitter and you could test run time at home before you go my apnea is positional so if I stay off my back it's not to bad but I wake up with head aches all the time without the CPAP.

advise the outfitter of your condition well in advance, any outiftter I've been with would gladly make sure they have what you need at camp for a safe accommodation

would a deep cycle last a week's worth of sleeping time? I don't have experience with those solar chargers but maybe something that could work to keep your batter charged up for the night

CPAP's don't use that much power I would say a good deep cycle and a 12v inverter would run 1 for a long time it would be better than relying on the out fitter and you could test run time at home before you go my apnea is positional so if I stay off my back it's not to bad but I wake up with head aches all the time without the CPAP.

That's a great idea and I could also use that as home back up. I asked the people that I got my machine from but they weren't sure if a battery back would last a full week. I wouldn't want to take the chance relying on an old generator as was mentioned in one post. Thanks for the suggestion. The reason I asked the question is that I'm sure there outfitters out there that have dealt with this over the years, but I trust the folks on this site who might have already found reliable ones.

Edited by Rolly

I think the manufacturer-offered solutions typically work for a night or two, depending on your usage. Using your humidifier or requiring a higher pressure will obviously drain the battery more quickly.

They're also quite expensive (though you get lucky and have it at least part of it covered by insurance).

Probably the least painful way is to ask an outfitter if they can accommodate your needs when you're shopping around. They may also have had previous clients with similar conditions and may be able to offer you advice.

There are also some online CPAP communities (CPAPTalk.com) that may also be able to point you in the right direction. When I go camping, I always pick a powered campsite. Yes, it looks a little odd setting up your tent among the hulking RV trailer park, but I'd probably keep the entire campground awake at night without it.

Contact the outfitter. I'm pretty sure that a couple of deep cycles with an invertor should keep it going for the week as long as you don't use the humidifier. Check to see what the power usage is, there should be something on the bottom of the machine or in the owner's manual. I don't go anywhere without mine any more. I've forgotten it a couple of times and those were not fun weekends.

I think the manufacturer-offered solutions typically work for a night or two, depending on your usage. Using your humidifier or requiring a higher pressure will obviously drain the battery more quickly.

They're also quite expensive (though you get lucky and have it at least part of it covered by insurance).

Probably the least painful way is to ask an outfitter if they can accommodate your needs when you're shopping around. They may also have had previous clients with similar conditions and may be able to offer you advice.

There are also some online CPAP communities (CPAPTalk.com) that may also be able to point you in the right direction. When I go camping, I always pick a powered campsite. Yes, it looks a little odd setting up your tent among the hulking RV trailer park, but I'd probably keep the entire campground awake at night without it.

Wow the people on this board are always so helpful! I never thought or knew about (CPAPTalk.com). You guys are great!

Contact the outfitter. I'm pretty sure that a couple of deep cycles with an invertor should keep it going for the week as long as you don't use the humidifier. Check to see what the power usage is, there should be something on the bottom of the machine or in the owner's manual. I don't go anywhere without mine any more. I've forgotten it a couple of times and those were not fun weekends.

I'm going to check out the deep cycle batteries and inverter suggestion, that would also help in case we have a power outage at home. Thanks!

Wow the people on this board are always so helpful! I never thought or knew about (CPAPTalk.com). You guys are great!

Most of the people here are very helpful. Now go do your fly-in, worry-free. Give us a report and then plan a bunch more, Rolly! :) Have a great time!

A CPAP unit will only last 2 - 3 nights on a typical Group 27 deep cycle battery....trust me....I know. A larger battery would last longer but with the downside of added weight. I would try to rent a small Honda generator (inverter series) and a small battery pack supplied by the CPAP company. Any way you look at it, it will be somewhat expensive. The problem with using the outfitter's generator is that, in all likelihood, it'll produce "dirty" power, not suitable for your CPAP unit. Most lower cost generators are not designed to power sensitive electronic equipment and may, in fact, damage them. I also have sleep apnea, and I wouldn't take the gamble of going on this trip.

I would also try a solar trickle charger. Im sure it would work well if it was in direct sunlight all day.They have a nice long wire so the panel can be in the sun and the battery somwhere shaded.Like others have said, try it at home ..If it lasts 7 nights your good to go..

Would it do the job if you had 7 days of no sun shine? Having severe apnea myself I would never take the chance.

Trickle chargers only need daylight not direct sun shine and I would think a 2'x2' charger would replenish what a (new small CPAP they are the size of a alarm clock now even my 2 year old model is massive in comparison )CPAP would use from a nights use by the time you were ready for bed the following night . I do think fish4eyes Honda genny is a good idea also they would use very little gas and are small enough to carry like a tackle box .

A friend of mine goes on a fly-in every year to Percy lake north of Nakina. A friend of his has sleep apnea and they take along a honda generator. His machine will run 2 nights without recharging. They run the generator every second night for 3-4 hours and use less than 2 gallons of gas for a week. We are planning to go to Lady Evelyn on a boat in trip in July and this friend that I have not met is going with us. He does not let sleep apnea stop him from going on these kinds of trips.