Satalite Internet

mikdor

We have a camp in Marten River and next year we plan on living there from spring till fall and was wondering if any one knows of a reliable and economical satalite internet supplier.Any info would be appriecated,Thanks in advance mikdor

:lol: I doubt there's the infrastructure (cable run) to a remote camp -- unless your camp is right in town.

You have two options, satellite or, if you are within reach of a cell tower in camp from Bell, Rogers, Telus etc you can get wireless internet. There *might* be local wireless providers as well, you'd have to do some digging. Likely higher upfront costs with satellite than wireless but more generous bandwidth limits. Speed will propably be higher on wireless.

I'm assuming satellite would be pretty price too...I'd go for other options.

We have hydro but no land line phone only cell phone with poor reception.So I am only interested in satalite internet,does anyone in the Marten River area have such a thing or know anything about it. Thanks mikdor

Xplornet has bought up alot of the satellite ISPs. Check with them. beware though, Xplornet rec'vs less than stellar reviews. It'd still look at wireless providers that are local to that area though. You may get lucky.

Maybe and it probably has changed, but when I looked into satellite years ago, it was a hybrid system, sure the download speed was good as it relied on a satellite link and a reciever but the upload part of it was via dialup connection on a land line. Make sure of what you are getting into, it might not be all you think it is. I would think that actual 2 way communcation with a satellite would be pretty complicated and pricey.

i have xplornet. im on it right now. i have the basic plan which is $65 and after taxes its $74 with free install free hardware.that is locked into a 3 year plan. i searched and called everywhere! i'll be honest! xplornet is surprisingly fast and not slow like people claim it is. i can stream youtube videos with no buffering. the only crappy thing is you have a download limit!! mine is only 250mb every 24hours. the next package up for $125 is 500mb. if you go over your usage they drop you down to dial up speed and make it basically useless. so you cant watch 100 videos or download tons of songs. with 250mb you can web surf all day and not go over. i have a link in my favorites and i can check my usage and how much time i have.

if you do have poor reception on your cell phone i'd go to your wireless provider and get a rocket hub. it has a stronger signal then a regular cell phone and you can attach a booster antena. it also works as a router for your laptop, you can get a land line number and it'll boost the signal on your cell phone. from what i remember plans were around $50.