HVAC help

Handlebarz

Last night the AC froze up the lines after running all day in the heat. I noticed that there was some fuzz not much on tge AC cooling fins I rinsed it off today it worked great until 5pm when it totally shut down the motor was hot on the AC unit. It has just switched off and since I started typing this it came back on. Any ideas what to look for?

Oh yeah the filter is clean and the humidifier is switched to summer. The cool temp is set at 74 but it shuts down before that. Thanks for the help

Here is the test: Shut the A/C off but leave the indoor fan on for about one hour. If you see water draining out, keep running the fan with the A/C until all the water drains. Then fire up the unit and see if the air coming out of the vents is as cold as normal. If not, probably low on charge.

If the amount airflow feels lower than normal then there is an airflow problem. Make sure that they haven't blocked too many vents in the house because this could lead to freezing.... esp return air vents. Make sure that there's no counch in front of a return air.

and make sure that nobody has been hiding their beer bottles in the vents

If its an older unit, could be a freon leak.No easy fix for a problem like this Mike.If everything looks fine, but still not cooling or cycleing properly, its time to get a HVAC tech in.Dont wait tool long either, the predicted heat will have every refrigeration guy booked solid till fall.

ps

The unit shutting down is the overload cutting out due to the motor or compressor overheating.It comong back on like that shows that once the compressor cools down to operational temps, it functions normally untill it overheats again, then cuts out on the overload again.

This is not normal at all.

ps

The unit shutting down is the overload cutting out due to the motor or compressor overheating.It comong back on like that shows that once the compressor cools down to operational temps, it functions normally untill it overheats again, then cuts out on the overload again.

This is not normal at all.

Icing coil is almost always low refridgerant or poor indoor air flow,dirty filter or dirty inside coil.Turn the fan to on position to thaw coil and call hvac guy.

Joe

Thanks everyone It has been fine since I cleaned it out I guess That might have been the problem. I know the one at our old house would freeze up du to fuzz from all the trees.

Its off now as the temps came down I will see what goes next time we have some good heat.

Your problem will be back when you need it most.Cleaning the outside coils will not solve your icing problem.Get it checked before you really need it.

Joe

x2 Mike

I deal with these Techs on a daily basis and they are starting to get crazy busy and becoming booked solid.