My Son Caught OFC's Biggest For 2012

bushart

Nice catch... Musts been an epic battle...

I'm glad in YOUR thread you weren't completely reamed for posting about OOS sturgeon...

Yeah I know---Yes it was an epic battle and old dad was coachin all the way :whistling:

He caught it Saturday and I was'nt gonna tell anyone outside my friends and family---but this was a fish of a lifetime---and I likely won't see another

Bushart,

I live right beside a river full of sturgeon. I've spoke with the MNR various times over the past years in regards to sturgeon. So far it's unanimous that they have no issues with pics taken of incidental catches, but strongly prefer the fish to remain in the water (like you did). Sometimes I see them visit other boats and ask if they had incidentals and if measurements were taken. I just take that as the anglers and CO's caring and hoping to see them flourish and be healthy

These fish are true beasts. I've never targeted them, but I've had 3 incidentals over the years. Two were just pups but the last one was a 7ft beast that took well over an hour to see. It's an amazing experience for sure.

Kudos to your son for the catch of a lifetime! That musta been a real thrill for him and you as well! I can tell your one proud papa!!! thumbsup_anim.gif

Kudos to the other board members as well for being respectfull and letting Bushart share his angling/parenting enthusiasm clapping.gif

Right on Manitou

A 7 footer is a mastadon---could'nt imagine

I do give these fish full marks for bulldoggin down

Yep, they will do that, or if they so choose, will just sit on bottom and there is nothing, absolutely nothing you can do. Well you can wait, lol, thats your only option.

My big one was on a 6'6" medium heavy rod with 8lb mono. I could quite literally feel the reel seat slowly splitting apart. I couldn't believe I was able to actually get that fish in on 8lb mono, it took alot of manuevering and I think I learned more about fighting a fish, that one time, in all my other years as an angler.

and to anyone that wonders whether the fish is fine or not (as per the roll in the pic), these fish actually act as if they haven't even been caught. They are like no other freshwater fish in those terms. Even when you release them and they are just floating there, they aren't usually hurt/tired, they just CHOOSE to do so. In our watershed/sturgeon program, these fish when caught for mating at the farm, go sometimes up to an hour out of the water. And even then, they revive as if nothing ever happened.

So I highly highly doubt this fish was harmed in anyway. And appears to be handled with utmost respect, as I would give the benefit of the doubt to bushart/Son as we all know he's a responsible angler/human being, as well as a great member of OFC thumbsup_anim.gif

I can remember the one and ONLY sturgeon i have caught in my life like it was yesterday ...its a long story but heres the short....1983 South Saskatchewan river within Regina city limits 49 inches 10# test one mangled fishing net and almost one completely severed finger....

Congrates to your son Terrence...incidental or not ...its a fish of a lifetime if you dont live near them

I can remember the one and ONLY sturgeon i have caught in my life like it was yesterday ...its a long story but heres the short....1983 South Saskatchewan river within Regina city limits 49 inches 10# test one mangled fishing net and almost one completely severed finger....

Congrates to your son Terrence...incidental or not ...its a fish of a lifetime if you dont live near them

Man, now I want to hear the long version !!

and yup, Terence musta been pumped to have landed that beast and props all around for taking care of this beauty !

Ya tough they are came across some on nippising. The c/o that i know gave me heck the last time i cough one. Not because i cough one but because i did not look to see if it was tagged and record its girth and length but he did want to know were i cough it and on what.

Hey that's amazing!! He'll remember that fish forever!

Small world btw, I received those sturgeon pics yesterday from one of my suppliers!

Ya lost me----he showed you my pic?

Only place I sent it was family and friends and posted here

Tell your supplier----Daiwa rod (mh)---Quantum spinning reel (go figure?) and 6lb dia spiderwire easy cast braid

Tell him to stock lots cause they git er dun :clapping:

Ya lost me----he showed you my pic?

Only place I sent it was family and friends and posted here

Tell your supplier----Daiwa rod (mh)---Quantum spinning reel (go figure?) and 6lb dia spiderwire easy cast braid

Tell him to stock lots cause they git er dun clapping.gif

pm sent.

Wow, what a story! I was out West last year with my brother and he happened to hook into a sturgeon in the Columbia River while fishing for pickerel. I started the video and all you can see is "ssss sss sss, snap" as the line peeled out and then snapped. It was a thrill of a lifetime and now he is considering targeting one in the Sask River I believe, where it is catch and release.

As far as I am concerned, if I am following the regulations and therefore abiding by the law I could care less if someone wants to harass or bully me for not following "their" particular viewpoint. I don't go out of my way to catch out of season fish, but if I happen to catch a monster while fishing for something else I will most likely take a photo, so long as it does not jeopardize the fish in question.

Bully's will be bully's! :blahblah1:

Don't let them ruin the sharing of your amazing fishing experience :thumbsup_anim: