Anyone know the results of the fishing tournament

Big Cliff

Hirk: My objective is precisely as you stated - get MNR to come to its senses and stop this annual event that occurs when lethal temperatures occur, and the resource gets badly wasted. I still haven't heard how many fish were caught over the two days (I wonder why the Chamber doesn't post this anymore) , but I'm thinking it must be at least between 250 and 400 fish. Given the conditions, anything that did not die pre-release is now dead on the bottom of the lake. I know of no other wasteful, completely avoidable annual mortality event that is damaging this fishery like this tournament, so what else is worth "lobbying" about? This is going to happen again, and again, and again, as long as MNR keeps signing off on it. ""Improvements for next year" aren't going to stop the mortality.The lake has no problem with early year class recruitment, so reproduction does not appear to be a problem, based on the extensive netting data. Getting rid of 4000 rod hours of angling pressure that is specifically targeting Walleye would be a good thing for the fishery as well. Ethics is a big part of this too. It wouldn't be as bad if the Chamber admitted that it was a mortality event, ran the tournament as a catch and keep, and at least did the respectful thing and retained the fish. This thing is starting to stink like a really bad sporting event........I wonder how many strikes MNR is going to allow before they call the ""you're out"!

For next year, the Chamber should raise funds by holding an exciting pre-tournament lottery. Call it the "Guess the Can-Am Walleye Mort Count" lottery. Two bucks to enter and even kids can buy a ticket. Have ticket sales at the Home Hardware and Corky's. The winner gets a free Walleye dinner (from what washed up against the dam face) at the local fish and chip shop.

Dave

I try and avoid these posts but you think 250-400 fish were killed from the tournament anglers there Fenelon? So your saying in my eyes that all fish hooked either too big, too small for the slot or in theslot died. That's how tough the fishing was out there that I bet based on talking to two buddies to fished it the total fish "stung" was still under 300. You can BET that some of the "floaters" came from various reasons including pre-fishing.

When I catch a walleye over the slot and I feel I want photo prof (bragging rights not tourny stuff) I don't even take it out of the net.

I have fished in EC's boat many a time and yes it is older but we have never had a walleye be belly up or even close to it when we fish this very lake. Trust me when I say waves make no issues in the livewell as EC likes to get spot to spot FAST and we've had some "fun rip's" and it's never been an issue on this lake water temp or livewell wise.

If there was dead fish as a 100% proven direct result to that event; I fell it was the angler and a bad catch and release (livewell or stringer) system that failed for the majority of any dead fish.

BTW, I wonder how much Tim's and others sales jumped over those days that they don't normally have...

Hirk: My objective is precisely as you stated - get MNR to come to its senses and stop this annual event that occurs when lethal temperatures occur, and the resource gets badly wasted. I still haven't heard how many fish were caught over the two days (I wonder why the Chamber doesn't post this anymore) , but I'm thinking it must be at least between 250 and 400 fish. Given the conditions, anything that did not die pre-release is now dead on the bottom of the lake. I know of no other wasteful, completely avoidable annual mortality event that is damaging this fishery like this tournament, so what else is worth "lobbying" about? This is going to happen again, and again, and again, as long as MNR keeps signing off on it. ""Improvements for next year" aren't going to stop the mortality.The lake has no problem with early year class recruitment, so reproduction does not appear to be a problem, based on the extensive netting data. Getting rid of 4000 rod hours of angling pressure that is specifically targeting Walleye would be a good thing for the fishery as well. Ethics is a big part of this too. It wouldn't be as bad if the Chamber admitted that it was a mortality event, ran the tournament as a catch and keep, and at least did the respectful thing and retained the fish. This thing is starting to stink like a really bad sporting event........I wonder how many strikes MNR is going to allow before they call the ""you're out"!

For next year, the Chamber should raise funds by holding an exciting pre-tournament lottery. Call it the "Guess the Can-Am Walleye Mort Count" lottery. Two bucks to enter and even kids can buy a ticket. Have ticket sales at the Home Hardware and Corky's. The winner gets a free Walleye dinner (from what washed up against the dam face) at the local fish and chip shop.

Dave

We can agree to disagree on some of this, I give you credit for doing what you think is right for the fishery.

Dave

Spin Doctor

I'm not sure why everyone is ripping on this Dave guy. I don't know him but he obviously cares about the fishery. He is on our side not against us. We all care about the Kawarthas. He's trying to help the lake.

I can tell you one thing for sure - this tournament is not helping Sturgeon Lake and it's likely more damaging than others.

I have met Cliff once. He is an honest kind person. His report of dead fish only supports Daves case.

On a side note- Why anyone would want to go in a tournament with a slot limit is beyond me. I laugh at those Redfish tournies down south.

We all bring bias into this argument. I personally do not care for tournaments. I could elaborate on the why but it's just my BIAS. A few others here come into this fight with an affinity for them and they will see what they want to see just like I did.

Edited by landry

I practiced 2 days the week of the tournament and 2 days the week before and seen dead fish in all areas of the lake. There was alarming amount filleted.

Because of the tournament we own all these fish including the ones filleted.

Obviously there are two passionate sides to this argument. The MNR makes decisions based on science/biology from what I have always been told when involved in various local fishery groups. We can argue all we want on this site, but the MNR will make the final decision on whether the tourney can continue if the Chamber moves forward again next year.

I practiced 2 days the week of the tournament and 2 days the week before and seen dead fish in all areas of the lake. There was alarming amount filleted.

Because of the tournament we own all these fish including the ones filleted.

that's the scary part and the sad truth...

The only catch and release Walleye I have ever seen here on Erie are on Fishing shows. It is a catch and eat fishery. Bass is a different story. For me it would be like eating a pet. I admit we did keep a few smaller 12" Greenies for the skillet before and liked them to my chagrin. If anyone has ever seen what is in a Perch net from the commercial boats one might cry. A load of OOS trophy Bass and a few Musky. We Humans are pigs at times.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I don't get it myself. But guessing that means all fish are.kept.on non tourney weekends for consumption cause if that wasn't the case be hundreds of floaters put there every Monday from u know letting all the overs and unders go