Anyone know the results of the fishing tournament

Big Cliff

There was a fishing tournament on Sturgeon Lake this weekend, I believe it was out of the Bobcayegon area. I was trying to find the results on line but can't seem to get any.

I did talk to a couple of boats on the water and they reported fishing was extreamly slow. I had much the same luck, I caught more muskie than I did walleye.

Also, if you were fishing the tournament and lost a hat on Sunday morning, I have it, it blew out of your boat as you went past me. Give me a shout I'll get it back to you. I'd have brought it back in person but my top speed is about 32 mph, you were long gone before I could even get my motor started LOL.

No I don't Roy but at one point I'll bet there were at least 25 or 30 boats out in front of our place fishing Goose Bay. In a couple of hours fishing I only saw one walleye caught, there might have been more but not that I could see. Goose Bay is a pretty big area!

I would have thought that Saturday would have been a excellent walleye day, overcast with rain showers moving through the area all morning and a warm front moving in. Should have been ideal walleye weather but to the best of my knowledge it was very slow.

Not sure the wining weights but I was told last night it was won by Dan Risorto and Jeff Salazar of Durham Region.

I would guess probably 20lbs or so won it, tough fishing with the slot in a tournie format.

This is the Canada/US walleye T which returned this year held by the Bobcaygeon Chamber of Commerce. There was over 110 boats from what I was told. I fished it 10 or so years ago and will again next year.

There was a fishing tournament on Sturgeon Lake this weekend, I believe it was out of the Bobcayegon area. I was trying to find the results on line but can't seem to get any.

I did talk to a couple of boats on the water and they reported fishing was extreamly slow. I had much the same luck, I caught more muskie than I did walleye.

Also, if you were fishing the tournament and lost a hat on Sunday morning, I have it, it blew out of your boat as you went past me. Give me a shout I'll get it back to you. I'd have brought it back in person but my top speed is about 32 mph, you were long gone before I could even get my motor started LOL.

Hey Cliff, thought I saw you out there (from a distance) on Saturday, a ways out in front of your place. I wasn't in the tourney, but Walleye fishing nonetheless. Same thing for me, I found the Walleye fishing tough, but the incidental Musky good. I was thinking of bringing my 7 year old to the weigh in, but wasn't sure if the make it into an event - my son likes to see big fish.

Da couch won with 20.96 (I think) and 9th was 16.29 and checks started in the 12lb area. There was 116 teams. Don't think I ever fished so hard for 9 walleyes. All anglers talked about overs and the number off musky caught

Was a great well run tournament parking at the fair grounds was great.

How would a tourney like this work with the slot-size taken into account?

I can't see 4 fish with a maximum of 19.7" each, possibly weighing more than 20 lbs. :dunno:

How would a tourney like this work with the slot-size taken into account?

I can't see 4 fish with a maximum of 19.7" each, possibly weighing more than 20 lbs. dunno.gif

i believe it was a 2 day event, but dont quote me, Garnet might chime in 2 clarify or someone else who fished it.

Wouldn't it be a total of 8 fish for the boat or does each angler have to enter their seperate weights?

I just heard from a friend today that there were some dead walleye washed up on shore, mostly smaller ones near the lower end of the slot. I wonder if it had anything to do with the tourny and people culling? I really hope not but we haven't seen any on previous weekends.

This was a two day tourney with fish requied to be in the slot. Each team could weigh-in 6 fish per day - being a single angler would be a strategic disadvantage in this one. I am assuming the winning team weighed in 12 fish for the two-day tourney.

Here is the website for those that want more info:

http://www.bobcaygeon.org/CanUsWalleyeTournament.html

The tournament was run by a great organizing commitee and everything was done in accordance with MNR regulations. No live bait allowed either. Prize payouts were some of the best in the industry based on the entry fee and I bet the field will be full next year.

I'm not much of a walleye fisherman, but with the good payouts and all the extra draws, might take a gamble next year.

Edited by Dutch

6 fish 2 days and the organizers provided culling boards for each team. Sunday was brutal hot, but we had no problem with our fish.

Was really nice to see lot's of smaller boats,husband wife(I assume),young guys. For a $169 entry fee the draw prizes were almost worth the enter. Ever motel had increased business from what I seen and of course Tim's was under staff each morning.

Somebody weight a 3.09 walleye that surprised me,so 18lb per would be possible.

There's some reports on other boards that post weigh-in mortality may have been an issue. No first hand knowledge from me, just what I've seen in other locations. Can anybody confirm, deny, comment?

That would explain the number of dead walleye washing up on shore. Very sad if it is true! There is a lot of shore line on Sturgeon Lake, finding one is bad but my friend saw several in a small area.

I seen 3 dead walleye in practice and a few perch and sunnies. Unfortunately all tournaments get to own all dead fish.

The organizer get put in a tough spot with the 8oz dead fish penalty. If the fish is moving the anglers want a live fish and if it dies after the organizers own it.

Walleye are the hardest to keep alive. They use 3 times the oxygen as a smallmouth.

Considering what they were put through at the weigh in (from what I heard) I wouldnt be surprised if all the weighed-in walleye croaked sad.gif

I thought I had already posted that in this thread......I must be losing it :wallbash:

I agree. Not a good idea. Too late in the season, water was too warm, and I'd bet my paycheck more than half of the fish weighed in are dead right now.

No money from that tourney went back to the fishery, but lined some peoples pockets. Not cool IMO. The resource is worth more. Sturgeon has had a couple tough years, and was just starting to recover. I hope this isn't a set back for the walleye in there. I stopped fishing it all together. Not worth it for eyes anyways.

S.

So you haven't been on Sturgeon this year last year or the year before or the year before that.

The water temp. was 65.4 main lake and 67.8 way up Goose Bay and the river too the rail line. Hardly high water temp.

Just so you "Know" The sat. before Canada/US I caught 5 walleye in the 12.5 - 14.5" class That's 1 year class.

Just so you "Know" on tues. before the Canada/US I caught 9 walleyes in the 8-10" class. Yes I was swimming crappie tubes for crappie. That's another year class.

The lake is crammed with slot's. That's another 2 year classes.

The overs I caught were between 4-6 lbs. That's another 2 year classes.

And I heard of fish over 8 lb. This is another year class or 2.

Hardly a fragile fishery.

So far nothing. Tournament anglers will be responsible for every dead fish for the next month.

When I get back back from Simcoe whitefish gig today I will talk about how well the tournament was run. Right from parking to weighting the fish.

If and I don't think their was a problem the angler will need to take responsibility.

Lets just run some #'s "I HEARD" 680 walleyes caught.

10/680=.015%

20/680=.o3%

50/580=.07%

Let's just say all the REC anglers caught 100 walleyes on Sturgeon last Sat. and Sun. How many are still in Sturgeon Lake.

I have lived here for 12 years now and the last 4 or 5 I have seen a huge drop in the number of walleye I could catch in a day. Yes, I can still put fish in the boat but nothing like it was when we first moved here. I really believe there are several factors and sport fishing isn't one of them, it may be a contributor but I believe most of them are environmental. Zebra mussles, cormorants, and water quality are having far more impact than any fishing tournament.

I have lived here for 12 years now and the last 4 or 5 I have seen a huge drop in the number of walleye I could catch in a day. Yes, I can still put fish in the boat but nothing like it was when we first moved here. I really believe there are several factors and sport fishing isn't one of them, it may be a contributor but I believe most of them are environmental. Zebra mussles, cormorants, and water quality are having far more impact than any fishing tournament.

:good:

Amen brother!

Why they haven't had an "open season" on cormorants... blows my mind! :wallbash:

over the yrs of tournament fishing mnr has been involved

they ran tagging programs in the past at walleye and bass tournaments

having been involved in this you would be surprised at how low the mortality rate is for tournament fish

low enough..that it is a belief that the improper release of fish by rec. anglers is a bigger issue

hence the law change to allow culling by the mnr