help with outboard

FinS

i finally got my boat out of storage up here in the kirkland lake area when i stored the boat for the winter everything worked fine the motor is an 86 50hp merc i came across a problem as i was preping it up for the first boat ride of the season

what i did changed the plugs new gear oil fresh gas hooked up the muffs on it and started it up it runs pretty good but the problem is when i checked to c if it would go into forward nothing would happen just rev up the reverse worked fine any ideas what this can be im in a nice part of ontario loaded with nice lakes and im dying to get out any help would be much apreciated

thanks

Check the linkage for the shifter, it may need adjustment or could be bent somewhere.. Also, there should be an access "window" that you can access on the downshaft so you can see if it's still connected to the bottom end. If it is all good going to the bottom end, you may have bigger problems.

I had a similar problem with my outboard - was a "linkage" problem so I was told. Of course it happened to me when I was at the absolute furthest point away on the lake and it was just starting to get dark. Lots of paddling along the shoreline that night! Was only like $50 to repair so obviously its a pretty minor thing