Beteau Lake

hawkinsdj

Anybody have any updates from their trips this year? Our group is headed to Eddie's next week and was curious what the water level has been. Already know we will definitely catch fish but always enjoy seeing other's trophies. Thanks for any updates and info.

The last I heard from Eddie (3 weeks ago); he said the weather had been brutal with rain and cold temps. “As I type this Dan there is 6 inches of snow on the ground and it’s still coming down”; that was taken from Eddie’s email to me.

But that was better then three weeks ago, so who knows what it’s like temp wise now?

Moosebunk with you having fished the Attawapiskat and with these high waters; would you chance your tactics and presentation?

That’s a lot of water; do you think they’ll be a bit more scattered? Or should we still look for the “normal/new” structure and depths and not worry about these extra high central basin depths?

One last question with this higher water levels will there be that much more current to deal with?

Sorry for all the questions but this has been a dream trip for my brother and I; I’m so pumped and it’s still a month away.

We’ll be at Eddie’s July 12th for a 9 day stay at camp and I promises I’ll report what we find once we’re back.

It won’t be a Moosebunk or Solopaddler report; I just don’t have their ability in text; but I’ll answer any questions the best I can.

Dan.

Just back from Eddie North Beteau Lake, June 2-9th and the water is up 5-6'. The weather was beautiful, warm days & cool nights and the fishing started off slow but turned on throughout the week and was great!

Several Pike over 40" and several Walleye in the high twenty's with the biggest at 31". More to come and pic's too…

Cheers

WWthumbsup_anim.gif

I was up there the week before Walleye Wanderer. You will have endless shallow bays to fish for the pike. Just look for warm water and fresh weed growth. The main channel is pushing loads of water through but there is plenty of current breaks to hold the walleye.

First year we went (fishing river, not lake) the water was about 8 feet higher than normal and that was the last week of June. River travel was easy and the fishing was better than the last trip which had lower levels.

Pike were caught throughout the huge slack water eddies and in some smaller eddies they were found tighter to shore. Big walleye were tucked into those same places as well.

I was up there the week before Walleye Wanderer. You will have endless shallow bays to fish for the pike. Just look for warm water and fresh weed growth. The main channel is pushing loads of water through but there is plenty of current breaks to hold the walleye.

I was up there the same week as Skud and covered a lot of water looking for pike. We found a few 40+ fish, but it was tough going with the snow, cold, and overflowing water levels. What little success we did have with pike was in the shallow end of bays directly off the main channel where the water was warmer. We hardly saw any fresh weeds two weeks ago, hopefully that has changed by now. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies; every bit of info helps to fuel the fire. :thumbsup_anim:

For everyone that has posted on the different treads about Beteau and the Attawapiskat River; you have helped so much in getting us prepared for this trip, I say thank you again.

On a side note and if permitted (edit if need be mods) I’m going too put in a plug for Steve and Lambeth Rod & Tackle.

Stopped in there yesterday to pick up some gear and Steve went out of his way trying to help us. He didn’t try and up sell, showed us what we asked for and when all was said and paid for, he hands us a couple of lures free of charge. Got to like going into a small shop where they still care and know the stuff they’re selling. :clapping:

Thanks Steve.

Dan.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging someone who's been helpful to you Dan. I hope you have a great trip but then, I've never heard of anyone having a bad trip at Eddie's. :) I've also never heard a bad thing about Lambeth Rod & Tackle.

On a side note and if permitted (edit if need be mods) I’m going too put in a plug for Steve and Lambeth Rod & Tackle.

Stopped in there yesterday to pick up some gear and Steve went out of his way trying to help us. He didn’t try and up sell, showed us what we asked for and when all was said and paid for, he hands us a couple of lures free of charge. Got to like going into a small shop where they still care and know the stuff they’re selling. :clapping:

Thanks Steve.

Dan.

I just moved to London last fall and often make trips to Lambeth Rod & Tackle. I agree, it's a nice little shop and the owner has always been helpful.