Hummingbird Fishfinder

desship

At low trolling speeds will loose depth reading will go from 80 ft to 6ft lower readings.Usually happens in rougher water. Eventually returns back to normal depth. Do I need new transducer one year old. Tried lowering it , resetting to default and I contacted Hummingbird they said it might be transducer. Has anybody had this problem its a 587ci

Check the hummingbird site for software updates. Clean the transducer with terry cloth towel and mild soap. go to a known depth using string and tape measure and wiggle the wire going into the transducer then at the plug at the unit. Make sure coax cable is not pinched or near large electrical lines trolling motor/alternator wire etc.

Art

You don't say if it's a new install. It's possible that you are not shooting straight down and catching the side of boat.

Another thing take it out of auto and set your depth range. If it does lose it self it will just go thru your depth range. So 1-20 ft instead of 1-5000.

Mine can be fussy too now and again and I have the same unit. 3-years old... Only time it gets a little wonky though is if I'm in reverse and it gets "set-off" for some reason, OR, holding over a structure that has a big difference in depth, which can at times almost confuse the unit. Powering off can reset, sometimes just wiping my hand over the transducer will resolve it too.

x2 on the software update.Mine did the samething, but i repositioned the trans and it works fine now.I oceassionally get the problem in shallow,5-8ft, weedy areas, but that is rare now.

I manually choose the beam rather than use auto setting.I use the 200Khz most because it shows more detail on the bottom.