Vises for tying flies

Live2fish85

Hey all. I am looking for a decent vise for trying flies and such.

I had a cheap one. That came with a kit I got for a gift, well as I said cheap lol, it broke already.

I am not sure what you need to spend to get a good one, I was thinking about spending around $100 dollars.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/so_many_vises_$50-$100.htm

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/so_many_vises_$100-$150.htm

Vises are tools ...a hammer is a hammer if it says Fisher Price on it or Estwing....but some are easier to work with...just saying the cheap vises are for introduction to the craft...they serve a purpose...but once youve decided your into it ...you will end up dedicating a custom area in your home to accommodate a comfy tying session ...

Good Luck Chris

I had a Danvise and really liked it for its versatility.

Great clamping power on the smallest fly hooks all the way up to 5/0 muskie trebles.

There are aesthetically nicer vises but it did the job well for the money.

Live2fish85,

Hands down, dollar for dollar (based on the other rotary vises outthere) I would recommend the Peak rotary vise with the pedestal base. I think the jaws is the most, if not one of the most important features of the vise - it handles all of my hooks from size 4-22. Also, the rotary function is simply amazing - you can adjust the rotation of the fly rather than the rotation of hands (works well when tying body material).

I know you have a budget of $100 - but to spend the extra few bucks on a 'forever' vise I think is money well spent.

-Sawyer

Thanks a ton guys. I will have to look at the ones both Chris and.Sawyet mentioned.

Slowpoke I looked at the Davise and from what I see and what I read I like that one.

Thanks Dave as well. Have you ordered from that site?

Hey all. I am looking for a decent vise for trying flies and such.

I had a cheap one. That came with a kit I got for a gift, well as I said cheap lol, it broke already.

I am not sure what you need to spend to get a good one, I was thinking about spending around $100 dollars.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.

I've been tying on a Barracuda vice for 15+ years. Besides tying for myself, I tie commercially 100- 150 dozen flies per year. The 'Cuda is nothing short of excellent, and the customer service is awesome.

A lot more than $100, but trly a lifetime vice.

Thanks a ton guys.

Bigcreekdad that vise looks awesome. Only thing is if I were to get that I would have find another place to live lol. I have a hard time explaining $200 on a rod lol.

Explain????? There's your first mistake. Tell her it cost just a tad over $100. Kinda a white lie, if you get my drift. If you get into fly tying in a big way, you'll end up with a high end vice (Barracuda, Renzetti Master) anyway. Consider it a wise investment.

Also, look on the net for a used one.

Most name brand vises are very capable for tying flies. Two brands that stand out are Renzetti and Dyna-King. I own a Ron Abbey Signature of the later. Well above $100 but tying flies is supposed to be an enjoyable time so why not tie on a beautifully made vise.

For $145 the Renzetti Traveller Rotary is hard to beat. I highly advise a rotary vise as it can help a lot for many types of flies and tying techniques. Also in that price category is the Peak Vise which has been mentioned. A couple of my buddies have them and enjoy them.

If you win the lottery consider a LAW (if you can find one), and/or Renzetti Master.

Thanks a ton guys.

Bigcreekdad that vise looks awesome. Only thing is if I were to get that I would have find another place to live lol. I have a hard time explaining $200 on a rod lol.

Edited by rover1.5dx

Thanks guys. Those are some very good points. I just started tying awhile back and I do enjoy it alot.

Maybe my budget will raise and a white lie will be due.

Just like when I spent the $200 on the rod I told the wife that the Curado 301e came with it lol.

Been a long time since talking with old John here... http://www.freewebs.com/johnsflymaterials/

... but he was always a great fella to deal with. He also had a good selection of vises, start-up kits and all sorts of materials.

Been using a Standard AA vise since 2001. Withstood the test of about 2000 flies, probably a few hundred bucktail jigs, dressed trebles, big hook projects like muskie bucks... Durable all around vise.