Suggestions to patch a small hole?

soobnoob

anyone have any suggestions on how to patch a small pinhole leak?

it's an old fiberglass boat with a tiny hole right at the bottom corner of the transom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the hardware guys just told me to inject as much caulk as a i can and call it a day.. is this the right approach?

what can i do to reinforce it afterwards?

any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

anyone have any suggestions on how to patch a small pinhole leak?

it's an old fiberglass boat with a tiny hole right at the bottom corner of the transom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the hardware guys just told me to inject as much caulk as a i can and call it a day.. is this the right approach?

what can i do to reinforce it afterwards?

any suggestions/comments are appreciated.

Try to make sure all existing moisture disappears inside. You might need to make the hole bigger to ensure enough air circulation to dry out all water moisture, it takes time to dry. You can patch the hole with fibreglass compound found at the autmotive section of Canadian Tire. The patch will be as strong as the fibreglass body itself. Sand and paint if you are finicky about the look.

Edited by bassfighter

If it is truly a pinhole you can inject it with superglue. If it is bigger than a pinhole then clean it out with a small drill bit and use fiberglass resin injected with a syringe and place a piece of plastic wrap over it to keep it from running out. Let dry and then remove plastic. Buff with sandpaper to remove all plastic. Any bigger then use fiberglass and resin as a normal repair. Sand and finish as needed.

As a note if the area is wet inside you need to use a hairdryer to dry the inside or the patches will not hold I also have had success with a monitored space heater.

Art