what brand and type camera ??

fishindevil

Canon Canon and oh ya Canon.I just have a Canon SX 110 cause I like to keep it simple when fishing.

Now My wife has the Canon D60 and my daughter has I believe the Canon T2i .

Many canons have come though our house and not one has failed they are so reliable.

MTP

• 2 months later...

just wondering what type and brand to get for around 3-5 hundred dollars ??? thanks mostly for fishing pics,and snowmobiling and boating so i dont really need one for taking long shots thanks :good:

$300 will get you a very capable "Point and Shoot". The better P&S include Canon, Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Nikon. The most popular of the P&S cameras has been Canon but every manufacturer has some standouts. I own two Canon DSLR's and some very pricey L lenses but if I was to spend 300-400 it would most certainly be a Fuji. Dollar for dollar they have a pretty good bang for the buck. I bought one for my daughter and even as a certified gear slut I was very impressed. The color, contrast and clarity was amzzing and it was easy to understand. I tend to fat finger anything small yet this was an exception. Keep in mind that for the past 50 years or so most prints have been made using Fuji optics. Fuji glass is good stuff. In fact most point and shoots have plastics lenses (shudder)

Nikon and Canon have some of the best lenses on the market but not in the range we are looking at. Many professionals carry a Canon powershot as a backup. In the right hands they do a standup job. Sony is another excellent camera. Sony wrote the book on CCD (image sensor) design and production, they also recently acquired Konica and Minolta and have a working relationship with Zeiss optics. Nikon does have some decent POS units but they seem to target the DSLR market.

At the base end pretty much all DSLR's and the kit lenses are similar. The Canon and Nikon shine at the mid and higher end and that end is pricey. Nikon and Canon have a full and diverse lineup, that's why pro's and serious amateurs settle for little else. With either brand , lenses are made as a universal fit. The 70-200mm L lense that I bought for my Canon D30 5 years ago now fit on my Canon 7D. That lens is superb and the resulting picture will be as sharp on any one of the Canon camera bodies. The same universal fit is true of all Nikon lenses.

In fact in my opinion there isn't much difference in either lineup. I've owned 35mm as well as medium format and been involved in photography since I was 12 and I'd be proud to own either brand. With me it was a matter of what lense was available at the time I bought my DSLR body. Once you get started on that slippery slope you really want to stay with the brand. A decent Nikon or Canon lense can cost well over $1000 dollars. Sony has been late to the party but has a decent start into the prosumer DSLR and mirrorless cameras. They do not have as diversified lineup as Nikon or Canon but are making inroads. There is a third type of camera that sony has done an excellent job with and that;s the mirrorless canmera. You can interchange lenses and it has a larger image sensor but it is smaller and less complex.

I like to blow up my prints to rediculous dimensions(20x30) and I demand razor sharp images and I don't mind spending the bucks but if that isn't of any great importance, you most likely would be happy with a full featured point and shoot. An excellent place to start your search is http://www.dpreview.com/

They have an excellent side by side search feature http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

Most cameras use an SD or micro SD. My advice would be to take a blank memory card to the camera store and take a few frames in each camera that you have a look at. When I bought my latest lens, that's exactly what I did.

Not that it would be my first choice in a general camera but have you seen the ads on WFN for the Fuji outdoors camera? Looks pretty durable.

I bought this camera in june an have been very impressed with it, works good enough for me, durable, can take release videos underwater and drop it without it breaking ! Great buy for $170

For an all purpose fishing camera i chose this one: Nikon AW100

Link: http://imaging.nikon...lweather/aw100/

For less than 400 comes with some decent accesories. Has some good features including the GPS tracker/tracer. Once you start a new tracking it will mark a point at every picture u take. Which is nice for setting up long drifts over structure. Since i dont have a fancy Graph on my boat using the camera as my graph is handy. Does pretty well underwater too. No complaints here

Luke

Edit: spelling

Edited by Luke V.