Minn Kota failed - need trouble shooting help please

My new Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 iPilot failed this morning. I ran it for a few hours this morning, on and off, and was returning to my dock. Chewed through some weeds, it slowed and then stalled. I picked it up, cleared the prop and dropped it into the water again thinking the weeds were too much. Now, the prop won't power up.

I could use some trouble shooting help, before I pull it off and take it back for service.

Here's what I know right now:

1. The motor worked perfectly earlier this morning. I used it for traveling through the stump fields, holding position and a little maneuvering. Maybe 60 minutes total run time.
  2. The motor is less than 1 month old and has about 5-6h use on it.
  3. The batteries are less than 1 month old and have the same use on them.
  4. The batteries get charged every time I return home with the boat.
  5. I checked battery voltage as soon as I got back to the dock. In series the 2 batteries showed 25.05VDC. Individually they were 12.52VDC and 12.51VDC. This was immediately after using it for several hours.
  6. The Minn Kota's own battery monitor shows 3/4.
  7. The powerdrive steering still works, and will rotate the power head in either direction.
  8. When I press the PROP button on the remote to call for motor power, I can hear a relay click in the unit, and I get the beep tone to acknowledge the request for power.
  9. The circuit breaker has not tripped (obviously - the steering and beep tones still work)
  10. The prop turns freely by hand.
  11. There's nothing visible in between the prop and the power head.
  12. The motor is hard-wired in, no plug between the unit and the battery.

Any ideas, or must I lose it to warranty work for 6 weeks?

The foot pedals on those Power Drive units have been causing grief for years, although I don't know if it's still happening on the newer models or not. Most of the problems were coming from the circuit board inside the pedal.

Maybe a place you can start from anyways...good luck.

Where did you buy it? I had the same problem..If you bought it from canadian tire take it back..I managed to get them to take it back on a swap for a new one. 2 things...Check the foot pedal..Somtimes the roller ball that controls the speed advances beyond the control switch inside..Also do you know anyone nearby tthat has the same unit? if so swap out the pedal..If it works then you know its the pedal. If not you wore the motor out in the weeds. What ever you do dont tell Minn-Kota you got her tangled up in the weeds..Good luck..I know I was very frustraded with minn kota service so I just returned mine to the store..Without the recipt..Gool ol Canadian Tire :clapping:

Edited by tb4me

Thanks for the tips so far.

This model has no foot pedal; just a handheld wireless remote.

I purchased it at Gagnon's in Oshawa. All the Minn Kota literature says not to take it to the seller. Gotta go to Minn Kota's authorised service centres. It looks like Pickering is the closest for me.

They dont want you to return it, thats correct..However I belive the laws in Canada give you a month to do so..I would waste no time id attempt to return it if it were me..MinnKota service is brutal..

turn it on constant, and go tap with your hand the motor case see if trys to work, minn kota have some armature issues with the commutator sliding on shaft, also had spade connector break in top of head of motor easy fixes but if under warranty............

They use crimp wire nuts in the powerhead. If it got hot from the weeds it could have arched a burn spot inside of the wire nut. The other components will work fine the amp draw is less.

Art

Sounds to my like she burnt or broke something inside the motor unit. Get it back to the store. If they say no, then hit minkota service dept for warranty work. Do it smell burnt or anything? I would hesitat taking anything apart until warranty and return options have been attampted.

If it works in high bypass/constant and not on variable it's the board. On high bypass take a screw driver and move your prop. That checks your armature.

This is what I think is your problem.

When you have the prop off you will see 3 screws take them out 1 at a time and check for moisture.

I hate to say this, but the PD's are lousy units. I went through two foot units, and finally just decided to move on after the second one failed. I now own a Maxxum.

This is a PD V2 with iPilot built in. It doesn't have a foot pedal. I researched all the makes (not many) and the models (lots) before buying. The only consistent problem I found was the foot pedal so I chose the one that has the handheld wireless remote.

I hate to say this, but the PD's are lousy units. I went through two foot units, and finally just decided to move on after the second one failed. I now own a Maxxum.

This is a PD V2 with iPilot built in from the factory, so it doesn't have a foot pedal. I researched all the makes (not many) and the models (lots) before buying. The only consistent problem I found was the foot pedal, just like you've experienced. That scared me off so I chose the one that has the handheld wireless remote.

Success! I got it running again, but I'm not 100% certain what was wrong. It appears it was a software issue.

I followed the troubleshooting advice here. Shear pin was fine. No signs of moisture or overheating.There were no power supply issues. I completely powered it down, dissipated any residual charge, powered it up again and it was fine. Now I need to keep my fingers crossed as I give it a proper open water test.

Thanks for all the advice, and stand by for results.

Edited by whiskywizard

You should send an Email to the Minn Kota people to see if they have a bulletin on the issue. It will also document that you had an issue if it breaks again. Glad it is working though.

Art

When I installed my new back then Minn Kota bow TM it ran backwards the first time out.......call MK and finally got to speak to a tech (lady)....of course they wanted to make sure I had positive to postive...etc.... :blahblah1: .....she walked me through the foot cable control and it was wired backwards from the factory..... :rolleyes: ....the constant/momentary switch is still backwards on it... but works fine as is...QC is not what it was at MK.... :whistling: