I'll let OFC decide

NAW

You pick!  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which reel should I re-build and mount on my Bamboo Rod

• Mitchell Garcia 300
    • Playmaker
    • Neither...I have a nice old reel you can have for free that's better then both of those put together!!!!

Some of you might remember a few months back. I posted about an old Bamboo rod my grandpa gave me. My hopes where to get an old reel for it, and make it a usable rig again. The end goal would be to take my grandpa out fishing and use the old bamboo rod, which he thought would never see the light of day again.

The rod was given to me by my Grandpa on my Mom's side. Here's a link to the thread.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60203&hl=bamboo&st=0

I went to my Grandpa's (on my Dad's side) and rummaged through the boat house today. I found two old reels that I think would be suitable for this old Bamboo Rod.

I want OFC to pick what reel I re-build and mount on this old rod.

Here are the options:

1. A Mitchell Garcia 300.

2. A "Playmaker"....

3. You got something that's been collecting dust that you wanna give away?

The Mitchell:

It seems to be a better reel. But it's seen better days. The bail doesn't flip over all the way. It only flips halfway over, then you have to do the rest manually. I think it needs a new spring. And it definitely needs a new paint job, and a little TLC. It's a little big for the rod, which will be used for float fishing crappie / perch. But it feels like a much higher quality reel.

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

DSC03307.jpg

The Playmaker:

The reels is in MINT condition. It's nice and light. Very suitable for pan fish. But the quality seems to be lacking (more plastic parts, loose tolerances). But it has a more "basic" design. Less moving parts, and less things to break.

DSC03309.jpg

DSC03312.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

What would you choose? And if you feel so inclined.. Why?

What ever wins in this poll, I will fix up, re-string and mount on the bamboo rod. My grandpa is coming up on July, and I'm taking him out fishing with this rig.

Thanks for your input :worthy:

Edited by N.A.W

too bad its not a baitcaster. I have an old Shakespeare President as old as that rod is.

I remember sing pics you posted of that reel. She's a beaut.

Pics of the matched pair when yer done, thx :)

Sure!

Here is a Nice Reel that would go nicely on that rod and it's a good price too. ;)

That is a very nice reel, and would be perfect for this rod. But I got a baby due in August. My wife would kill me if I bought another peace of fishing gear!

I want OFC to pick what reel I re-build and mount on this old rod.

Here are the options:

1. A Mitchell Garcia 300.

2. A "Playmaker"....

The Mitchell, hands down. The 300 is legend! Besides the instant street cred you will garner amongst your friends when you flash that bad boy in public, once you fix it up you will be able to use it for a lot more than just your old-school nostalgia setup... :-)

That will be the end result. I don't plan on making everything look mint again. I want a rustic rig I can hang on my wall.

But first, I gotta see my grandpa catch one more fish on it! :Gonefishing:

Personally Nick if it were mine I'd just clean her up and display it in a place of honour, great conversational piece. thumbsup_anim.gif

Yep,thats what I would do.

That will be the end result. I don't plan on making everything look mint again. I want a rustic rig I can hang on my wall.

Good choice Nick. :good:

gotta see my grandpa catch one more fish

Wish I still had that,,,,,,, I got a lot of great memories,that,s all that counts. ;)

I thought originally it was a bamboo fly rod, if it's a spinning rod, then the Mitchell is the way to go, I had my first one in 1958.

Do you have any idea as to the age of the rod?

Cheers

David aka Superdad

I thought originally it was a bamboo fly rod, if it's a spinning rod, then the Mitchell is the way to go, I had my first one in 1958.

Do you have any idea as to the age of the rod?

Cheers

David aka Superdad

I'm not to sure the age of the rod. It's in alright condition. A little on the rustic side. But it's all good.

My mom remembers using it when she was a little girl. So that would have been 50 years ago.

There are some images of the rod in the link to the original thread. Some of the experts here pegged it at 50's - 60's era.

The Bamboo rod get be dis-assembled and turned around. Either to be used with a fly reel, or a spinning reel.

Edited by N.A.W

Personally Nick if it were mine I'd just clean her up and display it in a place of honour, great conversational piece. thumbsup_anim.gif

Great advice Chris.I took it regarding Dads old Eagle Claw.Would hate to be the one that broke it after all those years.ohmy.gif

The plan is to set it up for float fishing crappie or perch.

I'm thinking about putting on 2lb mono. Hopefully the line will snap before the rod.

The tensions still works great on both the reels, and it will be backed right off.

With the small eyelets the rod looks like it's a baitcaster or with the handle switched around it becomes a fly rod. I'd consider getting an old baitcaster and load it with that black or camo old nylon line in 6lbs. Mono as leader below the float. If a spinning rod the first eye up from the reel seat would be wayyy bigger, no?